Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about how has grading changed? PSA

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Hey guys so I am a bit confused here. I found this PSA 3 Ed Konetchy on ebay in one of the newer holders. It amazes me that this card only managed a 3.... where as a card in an older holder will get a higher grade in worse condition. Have they become more strict on their grading or what? Also, how does this affect auction prices? It seems to me that this PSA 3 sold for much less where a comparable card in a PSA 5 sells for more. Thoughts on this?? These are the two examples.... Please correct me if I am missing something!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T205-Gold-Border-Ed-Konetchy-PSA-5-EX-Piedmont-back-/202091729503?epid=2157797506&hash=item2f0d9b125f:g:CgQAAOSwB4BZ78Uh&nma=true&si=ZZBhUHifkTvo3edXpGOeM78TuHk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T205-Gold-Border-Ed-Konetchy-PSA-3-Polar-Bear-Sharp-Well-Centered-/152798498341?hash=item2393800e25:g:rScAAOSwZqZaFc9D&nma=true&si=ZZBhUHifkTvo3edXpGOeM78TuHk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Yes grading is stricter. The PSA 5 would never get a PSA 5 again if it were sent in. Pricing is all based on vcp and eye appeal and the stronger for the grade lower cards typically do go higher than another card with same grade number.

Although most suggest to buy the card not the holder, which would land you the PSA 3 over the 5, the vast amount of buyers are looking for the higher number grade and will pay more just to have the flip from PSA tell them it is a 5, vs a 2 or 3 if submitted today.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't grade from a scan. The 3 appears nicer, but is that paper loss on his cheek? The 5 does seem over graded,

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2018 9:34AM

Could it be that the PSA 3 centering on the back might have landed an OC qualifier but the submitter didn't want a qualifier so they dropped it two points from a 5 to a 3?

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Yes grading is stricter. The PSA 5 would never get a PSA 5 again if it were sent in. Pricing is all based on vcp and eye appeal and the stronger for the grade lower cards typically do go higher than another card with same grade number.

Although most suggest to buy the card not the holder, which would land you the PSA 3 over the 5, the vast amount of buyers are looking for the higher number grade and will pay more just to have the flip from PSA tell them it is a 5, vs a 2 or 3 if submitted today.

That statement is ridiculous. How could any card get a "bump" on a review if any card "would never get a 5 again" i think they are a bit stricter, but there are always sliders, and bump candidates

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 7:40AM

the 3 has an obvious crease on the lower left, also the reverse ink is bright and dark on the 5 and much more worn on the 3.
    There are 2 spots of paper loss?? on cheek and on cap on the 3.
    Also the 5's front color pops a lot more than the 3, but ultimately I think the crease did it in.