Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Will Vlad be first Angel in HOF?

Who/when is it decided what team the player goes in as?

Comments

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Vlad is in!

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

vlad is an expo in my mind

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Supposedly, the Hall of Fame leaders determine what hat each player will be shown wearing on their plaque.

In Guerrero's case he played eight years with the Expos and six with the Angels. He had a higher batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, and higher overall stats in pretty much every category with the Expos.

In my mind, that means he should go in as an Expo.

Steve

• Easily an Expo for Vlad. Mike Trout will be the first Angel though I have no idea why Nolan Ryan didn't go in as an Angel since almost half his WAR and the majority of his PEAK achievements occurred in Anaheim but that's a different conversation.

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I read that the player chose which team it would be? I could be wrong,I'm not really a baseball guy.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

he should go in as an Oriole :)

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Hope he goes in as an expo!

PackManInNC
  • I think he will probably be in as an Expo. Although Vlad did sign the one-day contract so he could retire as an Angel. Pujols will be in as a Cardinal. So if Trout plays another 15 years and then a 5 year wait.... The first Angel in the HOF might not be for another 20 years.

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Hoyt Wilhelm and Rickey Henderson were Angels? I sure forgot those bits of trivia.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SOM said:
    Hoyt Wilhelm and Rickey Henderson were Angels? I sure forgot those bits of trivia.

And Reggie Jackson and Bert Blyleven

• 81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@sdsalezman said:
    Easily an Expo for Vlad. Mike Trout will be the first Angel though I have no idea why Nolan Ryan didn't go in as an Angel since almost half his WAR and the majority of his PEAK achievements occurred in Anaheim but that's a different conversation.

I’m shocked to read Ryan isn’t wearing an Angels hat in the HOF. What team did he go in with?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rangers

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

@81 Topps Guy said:

@sdsalezman said:
    Easily an Expo for Vlad. Mike Trout will be the first Angel though I have no idea why Nolan Ryan didn't go in as an Angel since almost half his WAR and the majority of his PEAK achievements occurred in Anaheim but that's a different conversation.

I’m shocked to read Ryan isn’t wearing an Angels hat in the HOF. What team did he go in with?

Rangers

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 12:08AM

@BillyKingsley said:
    I thought I read that the player chose which team it would be? I could be wrong,I'm not really a baseball guy.

The player can tell the HOF what hat they want on their plaque but the Hall doesn't guarantee that's the hat they'll actually get. After Wade Boggs sold - literally - the rights to his plaque hat to the Tampa Bay Rays, the Hall was rightfully horrified at that and immediately made a new rule that THEY would have the final word on hat logos.

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Tabe. I knew I had heard it somewhere but wasn't sure of the exact details.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears Vlad will be going in as an Angel, after all.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.