Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

CANCELLED - Group break on a 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection Box?

ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2018 12:13PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Cancelled - The box is no longer on sale at D&A.

I'm going to clean this up a bit.

The 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection Box is an ultra high end Upper Deck product that has an original MSRP of $15,000. D&A has it on sale for $7000 which is the lowest price I have ever seen. It features 29 on-card signatures, 1 diamond card, and a 30 piece puzzle, see the links below for details, but the checklist is loaded with stars - Lebron, Jordan, Gretzky, etc.

I don't know how much longer they will be on sale at D&A. but I'm think a group break with 30 slots, each slot getting one auto or diamond card and one puzzle piece. That would be $234 per slot. I decided against doing a 60 slot break since it would take longer to fill and getting a puzzle piece for $117 may leave some people unhappy. S&H would be based on using USPS Priority small box plus whatever insurance if someone wins a high dollar slot. One of the signatures is attached to the large wooden box, so that one would be higher (I won't know until I see it). If the slots fill out, I will buy the box before everyone pays as a sign of goodwill.

I'm not sure how we do the allocation. I'm thinking that one of the more senior board member that isn't part of the break do the randomization, but I'm open to suggestions. I think we should do a randomization for the auto and one for the puzzle piece.

Slots - $234 each plus S&H - 1 Auto/1 puzzle slot.
1. LarkinCollector
11. TonyLags
14. JBrules
22. First Beard
23. CVHJOS9
30. ndleo

dacardworld.com/sports-cards/2016-upper-deck-all-time-greats-master-collection#details

Here is a video of a box break:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_HkTvPT9u5k

Here is the Upper Deck sales video:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5lzlh2751Ac

Mike

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

The box itself looks nice

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I think the box is autographed under the lid on glass. Pretty cool. Whoever wins that slot would probably have to pay more for shipping - just a thought if you are organizing this. :)

I think I would be in for a slot.

• Options

Bump - Larkin/Beard - let me know if your still in at $234.

Mike
  • Options

Yes, still in for one at $234.

• Options

Yes, I am in. I like your idea of 30 slots. Potentially getting only a puzzle piece would be brutal. Please put me at slot #22 :)

• Options

Also, I have family in town that I will be seeing tonight. I may be able to talk my cousin and brother into a slot or two. Hope we can fill this!

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I'll give it a go; put me down for #11 and I would be interested in empty box too.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

@tonylags said:
    I'll give it a go; put me down for #11 and I would be interested in empty box too.

I think the acetate auto is actually attached to the wooden box lid, so they would go together.

Mike
  • Options
    CVHJOS9CVHJOS9 Posts: 30 ✭✭

I'm in, put me down for #23.

Looking for LA Rams Rookie cards PSA 10's, 1990 and prior please.

Ebay seller: cvhjos9
  • Options

@ndleo said:

@tonylags said:

I think the acetate auto is actually attached to the wooden box lid, so they would go together.

oh; ok, no problem.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for one slot. #14

Thanks.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should call DACW and offer $5K and settle on $6K. Mention that it will be group ripped on the PSA message boards.

Also, are you going to be giving the DACW free gift away to the "winner" of the worst result from the break? There are some great freebies:

2015 Bowman's Best Baseball Hobby Box
    2016/17 Panini Limited Basketball Hobby Box
    2016/17 Panini Limited Basketball Hobby Box
    2016 Panini Donruss Signature Series Football Hobby Box
    2016 Panini Donruss Signature Series Football Hobby Box
    2015/16 Upper Deck Portfolio Hockey Hobby Box
    2015/16 Upper Deck Portfolio Hockey Hobby Box
    2016 Panini Certified Racing Hobby Box
    2016 Panini Certified Racing Hobby Box

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

Updated to JBRules

Mike
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Some great autos for sure, but IMHO the cards are ugly.

• Options

I would prob be interested if You can secure it for a little less from DA.

• Options

@Schultz24 said:
    I would prob be interested if You can secure it for a little less from DA.

I'll approach D&A if we get close to filling this out. The sale price is already close to $2000 off their regular price.

Mike
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2018 11:17AM

Got a suggestion from another board member. Expand the slots to 31 with the puzzle as one slot. So 29 people would get an auto, 1 a gem card, and 1 a 30 pc puzzle. I think that lowers the slot to $226.

Thoughts?

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    Got a suggestion from another board member. Expand the slots to 31 with the puzzle as one slot. So 29 people would get an auto, 1 a gem card, and 1 a 30 pc puzzle. I think that lowers the slot to $226.

Thoughts?

My .02; I think this is a good idea

• Options

@ndleo said:

Thoughts?

When I checked the other day, I saw a lot of individual puzzle pieces sold in the $40-180 range. I'd prefer a puzzle piece and auto to balance risk.

• Options

Good info Larkin. I didn't do an eBay search for the puzzle pieces. That being said, the 1 auto/gem and 1 puzzle slot seems like a better way to spread the value around.

Mike
  • Options

Figure the final out and ill probably be in. Reserve slot 21. Not looking good so far thought!

• Options

Updated. I didn't expect this to fill out fast, it's a specialty modern product, so a lot of members would not be interested. Here is the on-card auto checklist for those interested. It's stacked.

• Michael Jordan
    • Tiger Woods
    • Bobby Orr
    • Joe Namath
    • Ken Griffey Jr.
    • Larry Bird
    • LeBron James
    • Peyton Manning
    • Arnold Palmer
    • Mario Lemieux
    • Wayne Gretzky
    • Barry Sanders
    • Danica Patrick
    • Tony Hawk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Maria Sharapova
    • Mark McGwire
    • Georges St-Pierre
    • Jerry Rice
    • Nolan Ryan
    • Oscar De La Hoya
    • Mark Messier
    • Emmitt Smith
    • Jack Nicklaus
    • John Elway
    Mike
  • Options

Due to lack of interest, I'm out. Thanks for the possible opportunity.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I originally thought this might be something to get in on, but in looking at Ebay and sold auctions for auto cards from the 2015 Masters Collection set, it appears many of those go for less than $200, including Tiger, Gretzky, Tyson, Manning, etc...I wonder how many of the cards in this 2016 set would actually sell for more than the price of a slot in this break? Just talking out loud here...

• Options
    BGS_BuyerBGS_Buyer Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 7:12AM

The box itself is the coolest thing
    but they had to attach an auto to the lid
    can you get it off without ruining the box ?

The cards look UGLY!

Not too much thought went into it, for the price

• Options

@Kep13 said:
    I originally thought this might be something to get in on, but in looking at Ebay and sold auctions for auto cards from the 2015 Masters Collection set, it appears many of those go for less than $200, including Tiger, Gretzky, Tyson, Manning, etc...I wonder how many of the cards in this 2016 set would actually sell for more than the price of a slot in this break? Just talking out loud here...

The 2016 single are also on ebay for an actual comparison. There are 10 out of 56 sold items that went for more that the initial $234. The reality is that most breaks are a losing proposition. There have been literally a couple hundred thousands (if not more) worth of breaks on this board and I bet a big % of the buyers walked away with just some nice commons. The reason we do them is for the "lottery" effect, for a small price you take a chance to get something big.

What we are betting on is pulling a Jordan, Lebron,Tiger, or a parallel/gem/dual card. Even if you pull a Tyson, Gretzky, Griffey, Rice or other higher end star, with the puzzle piece, you could recoup a good chunk of your initial investment. Like I mentioned before, this break isn't for everybody, but for the price it is a fun way to take a shot at one of the top autos and at minimum get one auto.

As long as the price is at $7000, I will keep this up. I'm in no rush to do the break and if fizzles out so be it.

Mike
  • Options

@BGS_Buyer said:
    The box itself is the coolest thing
    but they had to attach an auto to the lid
    can you get it off without ruining the box ?

The cards look UGLY!

Not too much thought went into it, for the price

At $15K, it is insane to buy this box. At $7K it is only slightly crazy :smiley: . I have never seen a single in person, so I don't know if they look better in hand than on a scan. I don't know if the acetate can be removed from the box but it is called a box topper. From the price it looks like it is attached to the lid.

Mike
  • Options

there are some box breaks on youtube
    looks like its fixed to the lid, but haven't seen one in the flesh either to know for sure

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's listed again for sale :)

$7,500 :(

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.