Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

WTB or WTT for common VG-VF Morgans with a particular appearance

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 24, 2018 10:32AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

My needs are relatively simple. I'm working on a modest, circulated Morgan dollar set in a Dansco 7172 album. That's the one-per-year date set, so mintmarks and varieties don't matter. Just common date circs from VG to VF, preferably F+ to VF. I don't know or particularly care about VAM varieties.

This is a relatively casual sideline set for me to play with, preferably on the cheap.

However, I do have two main criteria:

One, the coins must be problem-free.

Two, I want ONLY original grey-toned pieces, with a very particular look.

The toning should show some contrast between the fields and devices. Many of you are familiar with my "CircCam" (circulated cameo) term for this look. Others here might call this a "crusty" look. Still others outside numismatics would call this "antique patina".

Here's an example of the look I want. Got any like this?

As of this post I have just this coin (an 1890-O) and a 1900-O in the album (which I just started),and I might not keep the 1900, as it's a bit low grade. So I'll need one coin for each of the 1878-1904 years (plus 1921).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll keep an eye out for them! A good collection idea...

K

ANA LM
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 12:38AM

I wasn't trying for any better-date coins, and intended to fill the 1921 year slot in the album with a Morgan dollar (i.e, the most common 1921 dollar option available), but this 1921 Peace dollar is coming my way in a swap from @jayPem, so that's cool.

Really, I hadn't even gotten around to considering what I'd do for the Peace dollar portion of this one-a-year album, since the "CircCam" look is more difficult to find on Peace dollars.

I do think this one has a suitably grey, original look. Not too shiny or lustrous. Just right. A little bit of contrast.

This will be the exemplar for the look I want in Peace dollars.

Just nice original grey circs with a bit of contrast. That's what I'm after overall, for both Morgans and Peace dollars.

For the clad dollars in the final years of the album, I'll not even try to find circs. I'll just get all the Ikes and Susies in UNC (and in fact have several of them already).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM Sent

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 2:44AM

@ECHOES - PM back at you. I like the one you offered.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Please remember:

1. I don't want key- or semi-key dates. I want COMMON dates. This is a casual sideline set, to be done on the cheap. For this reason, I'm not going to go for Carson City coins (unless one just kind of "falls into my lap", like the 1921 Peace dollar did.)

2. This is a "one-a-year" set, so mintmarks are unimportant. I'll usually prefer to go with the more affordable options for each year. (That 1921 Peace dollar is a bit of a fluke, since it just happens to be coming my way in a swap. Otherwise I would have used a more common 1921 Morgan for that year.)

3. The contrast between fields and devices is important, at least for the Morgans. I'm after one particular look. See the example above, in the OP. Also, here is the one that @ECHOES just offered me, which is perfect. See the two-tone grey goin' on, here?

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat idea... I had one when I was a kid. Unfortunately no idea where the coins or album went. Mom did have trouble affording her alcohol addiction, sadly.

Wishing you the best, in a world of dipped and gassed coins.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have these @lordmarcovan :smile: 1884 F12, 1885-O F12

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date