Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thoughts on this error / variety...

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2020 11:56AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just received my Aureo win from a few months ago and it does look like some kind of weird error or die damage. Please see photos of the assayer initials below and what i think could have been a "T" punched in error, repaired, and the correct "F" placed over it. Looking at the T in "ET IND" and superimposing it over the area in question it does align to the length of the horizontal bar and location of the vertical one (see the animated GIF).

What do you think? Repaired die sinker error? Just a die scratch?

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 10:37AM

Looks like the engraver picked up a "T" first, then corrected it with the "F." Since it is raised IMO it has nothing to do with the "T" on the obverse.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smell a cover-up ...

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure an odd looking F. Now to look if the same pattern is seen on other examples.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Looks like the engraver picked up a "T" first, then corrected it with the "F." Since it is raised IMO it has nothing to do with the "T" on the obverse.

Except that both T's likely came from the same die punch.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really torn on this one. It looks like more of a die chip to me, but that location is just too coincidental.

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    I'm really torn on this one. It looks like more of a die chip to me, but that location is just too coincidental.

Ditto. I'm leaning more towards a chip, as well. Still a neat variety and a new one for me, which in itself is pretty cool since I try to monitor all Mexico 8 Reales auction / sales daily and have been for the last few years.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky for us that the reference books got it correct! :p

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 12:26PM

So, i threw this one in the desk 2+ years ago and forgot about it until a few months ago. Not sure what the envelope came in contact with, but it did develop some ugly splotchy reverse toning. Decided to include it as part of my NGC submission anyway and glad I did. Very surprised by the result, but not going to complain since it's the first of it's kind. At least until another example of this die is found. 0 chances of this one ever crossing into a straight holder on this side of the street, imo.