Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A different type of NEWP for me, or is it??? Hint, it's very, very, old.

The photos suck as the the coin is smaller and challenges the depth and focus limitations of my photo set up.

The obverse is off center enough to keep this from being a top quality coin, but the reverse was what I was interested in.

No doubt this is one of the inspirations for the Italian mint artists in charge of the Albanian coin designs.

I think I may have found a new side collection--ancients that complement my Albanian set.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! I would love to see where this side collection goes.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cathy, those photos don't in any way suck. Nice coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's wonderful to own a coin for a specific reason in one's own mind, history, mythology, a powerful connection across the centuries. Those are all great.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Cathy. The similarity is striking!! I love seeing your Albanian coins.

Jeff

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the white prongs.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not fond of them either. I know so little about ancients I do appreciate the labels (knowing their limitations and all that), but I wish NGC would change their slab inserts. Someday when/if I'm more comfortable with the ancients and I figure out a storage/display method then I'd have no problem cracking. But until then, in the slab it stays. Those new GENI slabs look intriguing--maybe PCGS and NGC might think about doing a bit of a radical shift and going to something like that. Not sure an irregular ancient would hold well though.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing inherently wrong with NGC holders for darkside in my opinion.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin and a great match!!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great addition!

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Great find, Cathy!

I’ve always had a fondness for the Italian and Albanian coins with the classical themes. Your presentation of the ancient and modern coins side by side clearly demonstrates the connection.