Home Sports Talk
Options

Sports Jeopardy

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL for $800 Alex

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Who are the Patriots

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clever.

I guess they better start cutting.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 9:26AM

Here's some more Sports Jeopardy for all of you:

Since 1966 there has been just five teams in the 4 Major sports that have made it to at least TEN appearances in the World Series/Super Bowls/Stanley Cups/NBA Finals......Who are the five teams?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball - Yankees
    Football - Patriots (having just made it to #10)
    Basketball - LA Lakers
    Hockey - Montreal Canadians

Couldn't pull out # 5.

GO PATRIOTS!!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Baseball - Yankees
    Football - Patriots (having just made it to #10)
    Basketball - LA Lakers
    Hockey - Montreal Canadians

Couldn't pull out # 5.

GO PATRIOTS!!

Last one was the Celtics

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the Celtics.. More reason to hate Boston sports teams?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

No. At least they had Jo Jo White and Paul Pierce.

• Options

And the Lakers had Wilt Chamberlain, so can't hate them too much.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 12:15PM

@Brick said:

Bird grudgingly converted me to becoming a Celt's fan. Hated him against Magic. Hated him against the Pistons. Then came the steal!

• Options

@Brick said:

Does anyone really hate the Celtics these days? That was a real thing back in the 80's during the Celtics-Lakers rivalry but what has Boston done since then to really garner any hate? They did win in 2008 but that team was old & broken done just a few years later.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when the Boston Patriots were one of the door matts of the old AFL. They were just not that great from the mid 1960s through about 1975.... Perhaps even later. And if I recall correctly was it not the Chicago Bears that handed the Patriots one of the worst Super Bowl losses ever in 1986? Okay so it was the only appearance the Bears made in the Super Bowl... But they made it count. One to remember.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I remember when the Boston Patriots were one of the door matts of the old AFL. They were just not that great from the mid 1960s through about 1975.... Perhaps even later. And if I recall correctly was it not the Chicago Bears that handed the Patriots one of the worst Super Bowl losses ever in 1986? Okay so it was the only appearance the Bears made in the Super Bowl... But they made it count. One to remember.

Outside of that 86 team,there were still some pretty bad Pats teams during the 80's & early 90's as well. IIRC they ended up with the 1st pick in the draft 3 times during that stretch.

• Options

Yup... I just did not what to overstate the case. Thanks for keeping the thoughts accurate

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 3:30PM

@coinkat said:

The Bears also lost to the Colts in a subsequent Super Bowl

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

My bad...

• Options

Being a Chicago fan (Cubs and Bears), normally its about just making it to the world Series or the Super Bowl... I just completely forgot about the game against the Colts

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Patriots were the AFL doormat in the 60's through the mid 70's, then my favorite team (Broncos) were the grungy, dirty, slimey, filthy door step upon which the Patriot doormat was laid during the same time period.

However, since the 1977 season the Broncos have done much better, making it to the Superbowl 8 times (winning three and losing five :'( ) and have made it to the AFC title game 10 times (winning 8 and losing 2 :) ). Now if Denver could only find and acquire a great quarterback to lead them back to the playoffs and relevance.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 4:08PM

Sanction- Sorry, its not Denvers' turn yet.
    KC will be the next dominant AFC team, with rifle armed Patrick Mahomes at the helm,
    and he will be the next great NFL QB.

I'm even putting my money where my mouth is, so check out my new signature line.
    I'll be making a lot of money on those cards a few years from now.

• Options

Darin.

I have always liked K.C. in the AFC West.

K.C. deserves a good run, including a trip back to the SB.

Some good games between Denver and K.C. since 1960.

• Options

Sanction- I can still remember Len Dawson playing for the Chiefs, its time
    we had a great QB again. I did like Trent Green a lot, had some great offense with
    him and Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez. And Alex Smith is a very good QB, but it
    looks like Mahomes is ready to start next season.
    I just hope Denver doesn't find a franchise QB like Elway again, the Chiefs couldn't stop him.
    I still have nightmares.LOL.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I just hope Denver doesn't find a franchise QB like Elway again, the Chiefs couldn't stop him.
    I still have nightmares.LOL.

You know what's worse than having a HOF QB in your division owning your team? Having two HOF QBs playing during the same era owning your team. Its why i don't really feel bad for Dolphins & Bills fans during this current Brady run when Dan Marino & Jim Kelly pretty much owned the Pats for a long time.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darin, you know next year the AFC West goes to Chucky and Carr. Get your Chucky doll ready!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Sorry grote- I've already picked up two auto rookies of the next great one.
    I can see it written in the stars, Mahomes and the Chiefs are destined for several Super bowls.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Sorry grote- I've already picked up two auto rookies of the next great one.
    I can see it written in the stars, Mahomes and the Chiefs are destined for several Super bowls.

Are you sure those stars aren't the result of hitting your head a bit too hard? :D

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darin
    I assume you are a Jayhawk so you must have watched some Big 12 football. Did you see how many times Mahomes threw it to someone on the other team when he was at Tech? Yes he has a cannon (like his dad) but let's wait and see about his decision making and ability to play in a pro style offense - Kingsbury's offense in no way prepares a quarterback for the pros.
    And yes I am a Chiefs fan and personally would play Alex Smith one more year but I know that isn't going to happen.
    MJ, sorry I contributed to going down a rabbit hole having nothing to do with your OP. But being a Chiefs fan is tough sledding...

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on... that's more like a $200 question, isn't it? ;)

• Options

@breakdown said:
    Darin
    I assume you are a Jayhawk so you must have watched some Big 12 football. Did you see how many times Mahomes threw it to someone on the other team when he was at Tech? Yes he has a cannon (like his dad) but let's wait and see about his decision making and ability to play in a pro style offense - Kingsbury's offense in no way prepares a quarterback for the pros.
    And yes I am a Chiefs fan and personally would play Alex Smith one more year but I know that isn't going to happen.
    MJ, sorry I contributed to going down a rabbit hole having nothing to do with your OP. But being a Chiefs fan is tough sledding...

In his 3 seasons at Tech he had 93 TD passes and only 29 picks, and as a junior 41 TD's with 10 picks , so
    those aren't shabby numbers. 5,000 yards passing his junior year. I just feel he's going to be different than
    some of Techs' earlier QB's that didn't make it in the pros. And I put a lot of stock in what the Broncos defensive
    backs said after he beat them the last game of the year, they were very impressed, and one of them was Talib
    who has been a pro a long time and knows what he's talking about.
    I just feel this off season is a good time to pick up some of his rookie cards, not after he has a monster season
    and leads the Chiefs to a Super bowl win.

• Options

breakdown, this is the quote from Aquib Talib after the Broncos game.

“I SAW ENOUGH OF PATRICK MAHOMES TO THINK ALEX SMITH IS GOING TO BE A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR,” TALIB SAID TO LOMBARDI, AS TRANSCRIBED BY JOEL THORMAN OF ARROWHEADPRIDE.COM. “THAT GUY CAN PLAY SOME BALL, VIC. THAT GUY CAN PLAY SOME BALL. HE’S SMART. I SAW HIM CHECKING PROTECTIONS, I SAW HIM READING THE DEFENSE. WE KNOW HOW STRONG HIS ARM IS. THE GUY IS A COMPETITOR. I THINK ALEX SMITH, HE DEFINITELY MIGHT BE ON THE MARKET THIS YEAR.”

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    breakdown, this is the quote from Aquib Talib after the Broncos game.

“I SAW ENOUGH OF PATRICK MAHOMES TO THINK ALEX SMITH IS GOING TO BE A FREE AGENT NEXT YEAR,” TALIB SAID TO LOMBARDI, AS TRANSCRIBED BY JOEL THORMAN OF ARROWHEADPRIDE.COM. “THAT GUY CAN PLAY SOME BALL, VIC. THAT GUY CAN PLAY SOME BALL. HE’S SMART. I SAW HIM CHECKING PROTECTIONS, I SAW HIM READING THE DEFENSE. WE KNOW HOW STRONG HIS ARM IS. THE GUY IS A COMPETITOR. I THINK ALEX SMITH, HE DEFINITELY MIGHT BE ON THE MARKET THIS YEAR.”

Thats just Talib trash talking Alex Smith . He doesn't care about some rookie QB in the last game of the season. Anyway you are still stuck with Andy Reid as a coach so it won't matter who the qb is

• Options

Weird explanation Bronco.
    If he doesn't care about some rookie QB, he wouldn't even have mentioned him.

• Options

@Darin said:
    KC will be the next dominant AFC team, with rifle armed Patrick Mahomes at the helm,

I'm even putting my money where my mouth is, so check out my new signature line.

And....................................... cha ching.

Hope a few followed my brilliant prognostication of the rise of Mahomes. I remember even telling a few
    co workers that when the Chiefs traded Alex Smith, the Mahomes era had begun. One said, "What are you
    even talking about", one said, "you know we're not allowed to drink here, right", so I really don't mind rubbing
    it in.
    I'm currently in the midst of my next move, selling off some of my Mahomes rookies(not all) not because I
    don't think they'll keep going up but because I have to take some risk off the table. Anyone can get hurt.
    Will maybe put some of the profit in unopened 2017- 18 football and possibly a few Deshuan Watson rookies.

• Options

This is my all time favorite thread. Really enjoy some of the comments I got back then.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 9:20AM

Great thread, The Chiefs did one thing right by getting rid of Alex Smith now they just need to get rid of Andy “Fold in the big game” Reid

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Great thread, The Chiefs did one thing right by getting rid of Alex Smith now they just need to get rid of Andy “Fold in the big game” Reid

Andy Reid and Jason Garrett are cut from the same cloth! Both can't stand up and think at the same time! :s

• Options

If Denver is not good enough to be at the top of the AFC, I would like to see Kansas City occupy that perch for a while and win another SB or two.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2019 12:41PM

@SanctionII said:
    If Denver is not good enough to be at the top of the AFC, I would like to see Kansas City occupy that perch for a while and win another SB or two.

They need to figure out the QB situation. Elway has been a disaster trying to get that position squared away, I still think they should have tried for Cousins

• Options

Good, more Andy Reid bashing comments.
    Thread to be revisited in early Feb. for my additional comments.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

prescient......i like it

• Options

@Darin said:
    Good, more Andy Reid bashing comments.
    Thread to be revisited in early Feb. for my additional comments.

Mark it!