Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What would you do if you were offered....

So I was offered through an Ebay message a 1952 topps mantle for my 2000 Bowman Chrome Tom Brady Refractor PSA 9. I'm not necessarily taking it very seriously, but if any of you out there have had offers of trades, what steps would you take to actually make something like that happen? The message just asked if I ever traded and that they had a 52 mantle. I said I wasn't very interested in a trade, but if there were a way to trade safely with anyone, I would possibly consider it. I've read threads about collectors being burned badly and I'm very conservative to begin with, so I wouldn't even know where to start.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

There can be only one....

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run away fast!

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 9:42PM

I'd need to see the card in hand first. No exceptions.

• I'm thinking 'run away fast' for sure. Lol

Even if I saw the card, I don't even know how to determine if it's a fake. Even if it was in a PSA holder I'd still be scared.

I'm thinking that if there was a situation that was worth pursuing I would possibly talk to Steve Hart (BBCE) about helping orchestrate if he would be interested for a good percentage. Other than that...???

• I would only consider that offer from Barrister Von Abersting of Uganda. I'm working with him to collect my late Uncles $14.8M estate he left me. Strangely enough I didn't even have an uncle.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

First, tell him to sell his Mantle to get the cash to buy your card. Mantles are really easy to sell.
    Second, be really quite and listen for the endless line of BS on why he can't do this.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Didn't Chris Hansen talk to that Barrister? (To Catch a Con Man...or something like that?) Lol

• Sdub....That's what I always thought. I actually was also offered a PSA 10 Fleer Michael Jordan RC + 2 PSA 9 Fleer Michael Jordans rookies. It's like you said, why don't these sellers just sell their cards, get cash, and just pay for the card...

I guess I was just curious as to what a reasonable game plan would be to make a trade that actually felt legit?

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

@pengvin67 said:
    Didn't Chris Hansen talk to that Barrister? (To Catch a Con Man...or something like that?) Lol

No that was someone else - the Barrister Chris Hansen tracked down was from Nigeria. Unless its the same guy and Barrister slipped away and has set up operations in Uganda now.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 5:02AM

This scam has been going on for a while now. A member here got his BGS 9.5 Jordan RC stolen due to this and mailed a reprint Gretzky RC in exchange. That was a trade swap scam, but I think you are in it with the California guy who will mail you his Jordan RCs and fake cards in PSA cases first. He somehow has pretty much identical copies and 9 out of 10 people would be buried by the same scam because of the trade value.

There is one guy in Canada doing this that the other member ran into and then a group in California doing it which a few others were scammed across the street by. RUN and REPORT HIM TO EBAY and share the scammers info here, although account will just change dozens of times.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose I would consider it if the other party wants to travel to where I live and meet up with me at the local police station so I can examine the Mantle in-hand first.

Arthur

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I guarantee that’s the same guy with his BS cards. I wish someone could nail this loser

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

If it is the Canada guy, ask him if he has a BGS Jordan to trade and see if he offers the 9.5. I think it is the California scammers anyway, but thought it might be an interesting idea to get him to show the BGS 9.5 Jordan for a picture record for the other poster to pursue.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would proceed to tell him that you are interested in a trade. Then I would ask him how he wants to proceed.....then get ready to laugh at his suggestions.

Shane

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

If it's for real, could you meet him at PSA headquarters and get both cards reviewed on the spot?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

That Brady card will only keep going up in value, especially if he wins the SB this year. Hang onto it as long as you can afford to.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Like someone posted above, if someone is offering to trade you a supposed high dollar card for something you have listed for sale, its almost assuredly not legit in one way or another. The response of "how about you just sell your Mantle and buy my Brady?" would be the most appropriate. You also have to wonder why someone would be trading the crown jewel of the hobby for a hot potato like that.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Tell him you'll meet up with him at the National this year to do the deal in person.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and it's obviously very shaky ground to try to execute a trade of high value cards. The gentleman (or lady) stated that they live in Ohio as well (like me) and they have a Mickey Mantle PSA 1 along with 2 Sidney Crosby RCs PSA 10 (young guns). I simply stated that those cards are only worth about 12-14k? Not close to what I'm looking for in regards to compensation. Have not heard back from him and I'm headed to work so we'll see what happens later in the evening.

If there was a reasonable trade partner with PSA cards, I would first want the cards to be sent back to PSA under my account for re-holder to at least determine the authenticity of the cards. Now would someone send me their cards to do that, I doubt it? I just wouldn't have the expertise by looking at cards in hand to know if they are actually real or fake. That's the only issue about doing anything in person. I did read about the gentleman who was scammed with the BGS 9.5 Jordan and that's awful. So I would definitely be interested in trading the Brady for Penguins RCs ie Crosby, Lemieux in PSA 10s or unopened BBCE material possibly as long as the valuation comes pretty close to 25-30k. Obviously the Brady cards will be hot for this moment especially winning another Super Bowl and it feels right to sell or possibly do a trade. Trades are more stressful though.

I appreciate everyone's time to comment and suggestions.

The ebayer is rand.kell, by the way, a person with 29 positive feedback, so not really a track record to go on. Not saying this person is nefarious in any way either. He could be a legit person, but really, how can anyone know another's intentions.

• Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

RUN AND KEEP RUNNING. I had a guy offer me a 1986 Fleer MJ signed UD authenticated for my Brady Bowman auto 10. Can't even consider

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Not that you should consider a deal if you think a scam is possible but the last Bowman Chrome Refractor PSA 9 Brady RC went for $11,400. You don't think $12-14k is reasonable compensation for one now? Even with another Super Bowl I don't think his cards bump too much. The huge bump in value for Brady RCs happened last year when he won his 5th and put himself past every other QB. Of course I also didn't think winning a 5th Super Bowl would impact his RC card pricing very much so my predictive powers aren't exactly stellar.

Robb

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Cash is king. Absolutely no trades with this Brady ! Good luck.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 2:19PM

@fergie23 said:
    Not that you should consider a deal if you think a scam is possible but the last Bowman Chrome Refractor PSA 9 Brady RC went for $11,400. You don't think $12-14k is reasonable compensation for one now? Even with another Super Bowl I don't think his cards bump too much. The huge bump in value for Brady RCs happened last year when he won his 5th and put himself past every other QB. Of course I also didn't think winning a 5th Super Bowl would impact his RC card pricing very much so my predictive powers aren't exactly stellar.

Robb

2 weeks after the last SB i sold a Brady Bowman Chrome Refractor BGS 9 for $3400 when 3-4 of them sold around that price during that 2 week period. About a month later Mint 9's were selling close to 8K so its definitely possible it might jump in price again. Outside of the Contenders Championship Ticket,the BC Refractor has pretty much been the highest selling parallel RC of his.