Home Q & A Forum
Options

Opinions wanted about removing gunk from 1877 Indian head cent

OneTrickPonyOneTrickPony Posts: 11
edited January 21, 2018 8:02PM in Q & A Forum

Hello, I found these two 1877 cents in blue Whitman books among some coins from my grandpa's safe deposit box. Before I put them in 2x2's, is there anything I can do to clean the black junk off the one? It scrapes off with my fingernail but I don't know if that's a good idea. Toothpick? These look like AG to me. What do you think? Would it definitely be worth getting these graded?
Thanks
Ron

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do any more scraping. Acetone, Coin Care, Verdi-Care plus other chemicals will work fine.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Don't do any more scraping. Acetone, Coin Care, Verdi-Care plus other chemicals will work fine.

Thanks Insider2. Do I need to rub it off after soaking in acetone? Soak how long?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one on the right needs nothing. The one on the left has a corrosion spot that will not come off. Lay the coin in a small dish, pour in so acetone to cover the coin and cover the dish. this is the slow method. Check previous threads for more. MS-70 or coin care/acetone would fix the coin in less than a minute!

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 12:50PM

They look stable on right view but it will not hurt to just soak a little in acetone then air dry.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

Black gunk usually dissolves with lighter fluid (Ronsonol) and a Q-tip

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Whoa let's take a moment. If you crudely attempt to remove anything from those coins, you run the risk of getting your coins back graded with Details. This greatly lowers the value of those coins. If you Don't know what to use, better to NOT use anything. PCGS has a restoration process that will cost you about the same as the materials you will use. I would strongly suggest you let the experts do the restoration. Last year I sent several coins in for this process, when I got them back, the eye appeal was much better and they graded higher than I thought. Spent $25.00 and got back about $400.00 better value.
    If you're not going to send them for grading, leave them alone or sell them as they are.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs