Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1873-CC Trade $1 Misplaced Date - how many types are there?

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got this one back from our host, grading out at VF25. You can clearly see the top of the 8 and the 7 peaking out near the top of the dentils. If you're imaginative, you may also be able to see the top of the 1 about midway between two dentils. On the FS-301 variety, the 7 is at the bottom of the dentils, and you really can't see any other digits. What have I got? Is there another recognized MPD variety for the 73 CC?

First pic is my coin, second is Coinfacts of the FS-301 variety:

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 10:47AM

RO is mostly right, but It isn’t a die crack under the wing it is a clash on the 1.0mm rev

There are two MPDs, just a 7 and an 8 & 7.

The wides are known paired with the FS301 (just 7) and all wide 1.2s are also fs301. The 301 are know with 3 different rev dies. The 1.0mm with the fs301 is a pretty rare coin. Few have that obv.

The coin you posted above is the FS302 which is the bolder but minor RPD (8 & 7) and not the one in the registry

• Options

@afford said:
    There is a 1.2mm extra wide CC & a 1.0mm is the wide cc but less than the 1.2mm, so I assume you have one of each. The 1.2mm extra wide cc is the rarest of the two. You can easily see differentiate the two since it is easy to be fooled by the similar distance between the cc's by looking on the reverse and the less wide 1.0 has a die crack under the left wing between the leg and the wing.

Thanks, but I'm not talking about the mint mark, I'm talking about the misplaced date digits located in the dentils beneath the date. Zoom in and look closely at both pictures.o

• Options

@Crypto said:
    RO is mostly right, but It isn’t a die crack under the wing it is a clash on the 1.0mm rev

The wides are known paired with the FS301 (just 7) and all wide 1.2s are also fs301. The 301 are know with 3 different rev dies. The 1.0mm with the fs301 is a pretty rare coin. Few have that obv.

The coin you posted above is the FS302 which is the bolder but minor RPD (8 & 7) and not the one in the registry

Thanks for the clarification, John!

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 10:59AM

Any time. Pretty sure that is andy’s Fs301

Couple of notes. The fs302 is listed in the cherry pickers book but not pictured. One must look in the back in the summery. Thus PCGS will certify it as a minor variety at cost

Most 1.0mm have the classic very weak sinister leg and can picked online from bad photos between the 1.2 using that. Isn’t 100% but maybe 90%+

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:11AM

@afford said:

@mbogoman said:

@afford said:
    There is a 1.2mm extra wide CC & a 1.0mm is the wide cc but less than the 1.2mm, so I assume you have one of each. The 1.2mm extra wide cc is the rarest of the two. You can easily see differentiate the two since it is easy to be fooled by the similar distance between the cc's by looking on the reverse and the less wide 1.0 has a die crack under the left wing between the leg and the wing.

Thanks, but I'm not talking about the mint mark, I'm talking about the misplaced date digits located in the dentils beneath the date. Zoom in and look closely at both pictures.o

Well that is what I am talking about. The 1.2 extra wide comes with mpd in the dentils and the 1.0 also comes with mpd's in the dentils. I believe there might be more but those are the two that I look for all the time and are easier to pick up since you know that the cc's are either 1.2 & 1.0

Most 1.0mm are not MPDs, all 1.2mm are.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:11AM
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:25AM

Nice examples, yes as I said 3 different rev dies for the 301. Never seen someone with all three before. Don’t think even joe has them all

You mixed up your pictures, I don’t see the 1.0 rev

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:35AM

Ok see the 1.0 now but don’t see the MPDon the OBV. Nice example either way. I recognize that coin. Tennessee Dave Picked it raw off Ebay and sold it eventually to Shish who offered it around. Only didn’t buy it because it wasn’t the MPD.

For those following
    Note the clash under the dexter wing and the weak leg. Pick up points vs the 1.2mm

That 1.2mm is a nice example. Know about 6 people actively looking for one.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 11:47AM

@afford said:

@Crypto said:
    Ok see the 1.0 now but don’t see the MPDon the OBV. Nice example either way. I recognize that coin. Tennessee Dave Picked it raw off Ebay and sold it eventually to Shish who offered it around. Only didn’t buy it because it wasn’t the MPD.

For those following
    Note the clash under the dexter wing and the weak leg. Pick up points vs the 1.2mm

I could be wrong but I thought I saw something between the 8 & 7 of 1873.

I have had a glass to that coin and it isn’t one (FS301 MPD) IMO. That is sort of the weird part of all this. The FS301 is fairly minor and faint (although found on two popular Rev varieties) but considered a major cherry picker variety. The bold easy to see FS302 is almost an after thought. Maybe because it is much more common, at least in the scope of rare 1873cc trade dollars that is.

If I had to guess 25% of all 73cc I have handled are the FS302 and maybe 40% of the heavily circulated examples. (VF and bellow)

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 12:01PM

@afford said:

@Crypto said:

@afford said:

@Crypto said:

For those following

I could be wrong but I thought I saw something between the 8 & 7 of 1873.

I have had a glass to that coin and it isn’t one IMO. That is sort of the weird part of all this. The FS301 is fairly minor and faint (although found on two popular Rev varieties) but considered a major cherry picker variety. The bold easy to see FS302 is almost an after thought. Maybe because it is much more common, at least in the scope of rare 1873cc trade dollars that is.

I can accept that, I didn't have a glass to it so I will defer to your opinion since you saw it in hand with mag and I am relying only on the photo.

Still one of the better 1.0mm I have seen, I have been passively looking for a 1.0mm with the MPD obv and have only seen very low end problem coins over the last decade. In a perfect world I would replace my primary 73cc that I sold to Dan with a choice AU 53ish 1.0mm MPD but that might not exist. Since I am dreaming, extra credit for a choice couple of chops and semi PL skin would be great

• Options
    edited January 21, 2018 12:09PM

@afford said:

@Crypto said:

I called what you call a clash a die crack not only because that is what I thought it looked like but also because that is what Joe Kirchgessner described it as on page 607 in Issue #69 July 1997 in the Gobrecht Journal. If you are now saying that Joe is incorrect I would very much like confirmation of this since this would be a new change.

Joe was wrong 20 years ago, I don’t remember but I am pretty sure he was the one who taught me it was a clash. Which has been confirmed by modern overlays

It is a clash and the great part about the GJ is that it gets peer reviewed by coin guys every issue.

• Options

@Crypto said:

For those following

Me being one of them!

• Options
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018 8:57PM

-

• Options

That isn’t either MPD but a totally decent 73cc. AU53?

• Options

@mbogoman said:
    Mine (coin in OP) is the "neither" reverse from above...

>
    The three rev dies only apply to the 301.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018 8:58PM

-

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one with a strong MPD.

• Options

@Crypto said:
    Nice 302

This looks like a different reverse also. Is it?

I remember this reverse was seen in a thread with a chopped up '74.

• Options

I have seen the scratch through the D before too. Pretty sure on a 74cc but that is a question for Joe

• Options
    edited January 22, 2018 3:39PM

It's on a 74-CC reverse.

PS Joe K. LSCC?

• Options
  • Options

I need to meet both of you one day. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list