Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Cheerleaders

ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Should the NFL still do this ?

You don't see them at baseball games. You won't see them at the World Cup or Stanley Cup finals.
You won't see them at NASCAR.

Just the NFL and NBA really promote this.

Is it really worth it ? The girls get paid so little. Shouldn't we just say goodbye to professional cheerleading and just let the college kids do it ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you even care?

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them. Entertainment during commercials.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Why do you even care?

Have you ever had an opinion about what brings value to an team/organization ?
    Whether it be a contract offered to a player, building seats above the green monster, or
    having players take PED's to sell more tickets because of more home runs ?

Do cheerleaders bring value to the national football league ? They get paid so little, and do they add value to a franchise. Would they add value to the Boston Bruins concept of promoting the Bruins if you had them down at ice level with their pom poms ?

Dave99B says feels they bring some value to a team/organization.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Sort of a non-issue to me. What about NBA games? College?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok if you want an opinion then I guess my opinion is it’s an opportunity for young Women to get out there and showcase their talent and get on TV, it’s a sideshow of extra entertainment for fans. Not a big deal either way

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 5:54PM

@Exodus said:

Why not?

@Exodus said:
    You don't see them at baseball games. You won't see them at the World Cup or Stanley Cup finals.

Baseball has other gimmicks during breaks (7th inning stretch, mascot related, etc.). You won't see many Americans at the World Cup; it's hard to do cheerleading on ice skates I'm guessing. Nascar has no breaks in the action.

@Exodus said:
    Is it really worth it ? The girls get paid so little.

I had a homeroom teacher who was also a NFL cheerleader. I guess you could say the same about both professions (from a pay perspective at least).

Shouldn't we just say goodbye to professional cheerleading and just let the college kids do it ?

Sure, I mean what are they doing out of the kitchen earning some money and having fun anyway?

• Options

@Exodus said:

Just the NFL and NBA really promote this.

Is it really worth it ? The girls get paid so little. Shouldn't we just say goodbye to professional cheerleading and just let the college kids do it ?

you're only joking, right ?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 7:01PM

Paula Abdul disagrees

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of all the threads that were useless without pictures, this one takes First Prize!

Steve

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can't have cheerleaders in hockey for practical reasons. If you had them in baseball the fans would choose them over the game

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dallas Stars, and I assume most NHL teams, have "cheerleaders" - Dallas calls theirs the Ice Girls. Half of them scrape the ice during commercial breaks and the other half have a stage at one end of the arena where they do dance routines. They're pointless, but some are pretty hot. One moved on to work for Fox Sports a few years back, but to solve the "worthless without pictures" problem, here she is:

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Of all the threads that were useless without pictures, this one takes First Prize!

Steve

Post of the day!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

And what of the "Round" girls during boxing events?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a few college friends that did gigs as NFL cheerleaders years ago... one used the funds to go to Harvard Med! So, the girls can benefit from exposure and compensation. Here in Seattle, the Seagals go and do a lot of the team's public service events, so there's that, too. Watching their "talent" is a fruitful way to pass the time during those interminable TV timeouts whenever I get to the stadium.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    And what of the "Round" girls during boxing events?

How else would we know the fight didn't start yet?

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

OK. You took the bait. Hey, it's the winter time. We needed something to keep it light.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

NASCAR has had their version of cheerleaders since 1972, with the brief exception of 2004-06. They technically work for the sponsor of the series, not NASCAR.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

At Lambeau Field we have the cheerleaders (male and female) from U. Wisconsin-Green Bay on the sidelines. A lot more wholesome than elsewhere.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@ADG said:
    At Lambeau Field we have the cheerleaders (male and female) from U. Wisconsin-Green Bay on the sidelines. A lot more wholesome than elsewhere.

Besides it's too cold to be scantly clad

m