Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Centering on any cards produced today

I don't collect many new cards, but after seeing one million Aaron Judge cards proudly displayed in forum threads, it has made me wonder why card companies can't make perfectly centered cards in 2018. Other condition-related issues that persist make more sense to me, such as chipping on edges, smudges on autographs, print lines, or other condition issues that are implicit with packaging and handling any piece of shiny cardboard.

But centering a sheet and cutting it to spec seems to still be beyond the abilities for these companies, or are they all Upper Deck now? I've lost track. Regardless, it is so strange to me that people would have to worry about centering for grading 2018 cards.

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Most recently, the Topps Transcendent Retros of Judge have been suffering from some OC issues— and this was a special set made for Topps' most high end release. Then again, perhaps Topps was just really embracing the "retro experience," LOL!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 2:48PM

@DM23HOF said:
    Yup. Most recently, the Topps Transcendent Retros of Judge have been suffering from some OC issues— and this was a special set made for Topps' most high end release. Then again, perhaps Topps was just really embracing the "retro experience," LOL!

This is funny, but I think it very well could be done intentionally to keep the mission going beyond pulling a card and converting to a 10. The color chase already bleeds some of that thought in because you got to have a red one, black, green, blue, redwhiteblue, etc, lol. I am definitely in the minority with this new age stuff but it is for the birds if you ask me. I fortunately don't miss the days where a RC card was THE ONLY RC because that is all I collect to this day and I ignore the craze. If newer era cards become bitcoin I guess I will miss out. xD