Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is going on at PSA??

This card came back N8: Miscut. It doesn't look very miscut to me but maybe I am wrong but if it is I think it should have been at least slabbed and given a qualifier (also sorry about the spots i need to clean the scanner). I've never felt like my grades were so off as I have during this time they are so "backed up". I feel like they are rushing and I'm going to have to resubmit all the cards I've had graded. I don't know maybe I'm just frustrated and venting

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Matt

Had the same thing happen to me with that card.

Try placing it on a flat surface and check for a slight "diamond cut" effect?

IMO, if slight? It should go in a holder with no problem. But that's their determination.

Mike
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

This is just a guess, but could it be because of the white line on the right edge?

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

It looks like a factory miscut. It's easiest to see on the back of the card on the LH side. If you look at the border from like the 2nd line of text to the 6th line of text, it looks like there's a bump there. Probably won't fit in a slab.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Matt0224Matt0224 Posts: 102 ✭✭

I do see what you're saying but do you think it should have been slabbed with a MC qualifier? It fits in a ultra pro mag... seems it should fit in a PSA holder right or are they different sizes? Should I resub or will i get rejected again? I just want it in a slab not worried about grade too much one of my favorite cards

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a difference between the MC qualifier and the N8 designation. The MC qualifier is used when a card is so OC that the border is gone. The N8 is used for situations like this, when the card is "cut funny" in the eyes of the grader. N8 is somewhat subjective so a good chance it could grade upon resub.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

It could grade the second time around, but looking on the back, on the left vertical side, it's easy to see the lumpy edge that earned it the miscut tag. That looks as made, but it apparently caught the eye of the grader enough this time.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive card by the way! One of my favorites.

Card is not miscut. I have asked this same question before. Resubmit and it will most likely get slabbed.

I had a submission a year or so ago that had several "miscuts", cards were all well centered (as yours is) and they ALL graded the second time around.

How can a card with equal/even borders be a miscut? Left vertical side lumpy? What about the OPC rough cuts then? Nothing wrong with this card imo.

Infuriating.

Good luck and let us know if you send it in again.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think it's a roll of the dice. If the grader slides the card against a flat surface it's going to protrude pretty blatantly and not be flush. Maybe add in the comments that you don't care about grade, just want it in a slab for sentimental purposes or something. Good luck.

Arthur

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I agree. I have had a few cards, although several years ago, returned that had a slight "bow" on one of the sides. I don't remember if the cost of grading was refunded or not. If the grading cost is credited back to you, I would give it another try and re-submit.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 2:42PM

I have a question that stems from this. How do we see cards in Miscut labeled holders with a number assigned. I don't get how some have had that benefit if PSA claims to not encapsulate the miscuts? Are these acknowledged as a miscut on the form and then are done as instructed or how do people get them holdered when PSA rejects them like this?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 3:09PM

Miscuts in holders are standard card shape & size containing portions of two cards, sometimes just the slightest trace. N8s are miscuts of abnormal shape (diamond cuts, for example) or size (oversize cut, too wide or tall for a holder).

ETA: Example of a card that would get a (MC) qualifier due to the back.

ETA2: Difficult to tell from a scan, but this card would likely get a N8 due to a diamond cut. It's pretty obvious in a stack of cards as one corner always sticks out slightly and if you try to line it up with the others it twists.

• Options
    Matt0224Matt0224 Posts: 102 ✭✭

I see what you're saying. I appreciate the tips. I wonder if they'd slab it if I just wanted it authenticated. It fits it a magnetic holder just as any other card would (same size as slabs right?)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Kyle

That's what I was alluding to with my sub of the same card - sometimes a diamond cut doesn't jump out at ya unless compared to other cards.

Now this one needs no description!

In the past, we've had newcomers to the hobby mistake a "tilt" in the photo of a card with a "true" miscut which is rhomboid in shape.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    That's what I was alluding to with my sub of the same card - sometimes a diamond cut doesn't jump out at ya unless compared to other cards.

Now this one needs no description!

Hiya Mike! Thanks, I knew someone would have a better example. 75T minis are a go to for me for card production errors, but I couldn't find one that bad quickly B)

• Options

@Matt0224 said:
    I see what you're saying. I appreciate the tips. I wonder if they'd slab it if I just wanted it authenticated. It fits it a magnetic holder just as any other card would (same size as slabs right?)

Probably depends on the brand, I know some have extra wiggle beyond what the LPTs/rails in a slab do.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Matt0224 said:

It's not miscut. Send it in and it will grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 4:05PM

This MJ spanish sticker came back Miscut when i sent it in,do i have any shot of getting it slabbed if resubbed even if it was just as Authentic or Authentic Altered? These had to be hand cut from the sheet they came distributed on it looks like the cutter did a horrible job.