Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Private Insurance

If I were to be mailing a number of high dollar cards to PSA or PWCC, rather than pay USPS insurance, what other options are there? I almost always pay way, way ,less insurance compared to value and then keep fingers crossed till they arrive to their destination.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Collect Insure - covers your collection + mail loss

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2018 5:16PM

Collect Insure covers you, and I have them, but it is certainly tricky if you dive into the terms.
    Based on reading, the only high dollar shipments fully insured are the ones you are paying for at highest cost, i.e. express overnight through usps or Fedex Insured. Regular mail and even priority are only covered up to $200 maximum per shipment unless insured (2500 maximum). UPS is covered up to 2,500. I asked them why would we buy additional insurance for the USPS Insured, and they said it doesn't have to be for any amount specifically--I usually weight $100 insurance cost vs the overnight difference to decide the level I am comfortable.

Another thing is they do not technically want to insure you while mailing to others per-say as they then want to call you a dealer which they must insure at a higher level? They said some minimal selling of your duplicates or organizing your collection is okay. I took that as don't tell them anymore. LOL. They do insure while shipping to PSA though, but while at PSA I cannot confirm whether it is in PSA's possession or still yours, so technically the insurance could be challenged there by them as well.

FWIW, I have never made a claim nor had to yet so I have no idea how good they are about honoring the policy. I bought simply due to recommendations of others and certainly hope I don't have to use it.

Here is an example of my 50k policy.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Collect Insure also does higher coverage if you use FedEx vs ups which I found interesting

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

It is as clear as mud.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It’s up to 2500 if you send USPS w/ signature confirmation. USPS insurance not required. That covers most of what I do.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Registered is also fully covered-at least in my collect insure policy