Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When did Ebay start this crap???

Just sitting here placing some bids for some cards I need for my 86 Fleer basketball set and after a while I get the message below. When did they start doing this?? I've never not paid for an item, even if it was a stupid bid on something I didn't need placed maybe or maybe not placed after a few cocktails.

"You've reached a temporary buying restriction.

It looks like you're unable to purchase this item at this time. To help prevent unpaid items, we restrict the number of auctions where a buyer is the highest bidder. If you're outbid on one of your auctions, you'll be able to bid on this or other items.

Alternately, to purchase this or other items, click the Add to cart or Buy It Now button in the listing, and pay for your item."

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

Dang....that sucks.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Just sitting here placing some bids for some cards I need for my 86 Fleer basketball set and after a while I get the message below. When did they start doing this?? I've never not paid for an item, even if it was a stupid bid on something I didn't need placed maybe or maybe not placed after a few cocktails.

"You've reached a temporary buying restriction.

It looks like you're unable to purchase this item at this time. To help prevent unpaid items, we restrict the number of auctions where a buyer is the highest bidder. If you're outbid on one of your auctions, you'll be able to bid on this or other items.

Alternately, to purchase this or other items, click the Add to cart or Buy It Now button in the listing, and pay for your item."

That sucks especially since you are otherwise in good standing without prior unpaid items. Not wanting to be rude in asking but I'm curious. How many items are you currently the high bidder on? Just trying to get a feel for what eBay is doing.

Kevin

Kevin

• I think you are only allowed 4 auctions where you are the highest bidder at a time.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm the high bidder on 10 auctions. 9 are with one seller and they don't end for 6 days. I sure hope this doesn't stop me from being able to bid on items that end prior to this that I have on my watch list. Just to add, these are 86 Fleer PSA commons that will more than likely end up under $10. None of my bids were even that much.

@bobsbbcards said:
    Um, try sniping?

Lol, I've been off of Ebay for quite some time and just getting back into the swing of things. I never used a sniping program and wouldn't know where to start.

• The only reason I said 4 auctions is because I was high bidder on 4 and the same message popped up on me. I could be completely wrong, though.

@AaronfromKy said:
    The only reason I said 4 auctions is because I was high bidder on 4 and the same message popped up on me. I could be completely wrong, though.

I suspect Russian collusion or the time honored tradition of The Man trying to keep us down. Best reasoning I can come up with.

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

That is f-ing ridiculous.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 is your ebay account fairly new or do you currently have a low amount of feedback received? i just googled about ebay bidding restrictions and what i came up with said that ebay's limits new buyers or sellers from posting so much activity until their feedback grows.

@erikthredd said:
    @PROMETHIUS88 is your ebay account fairly new or do you currently have a low amount of feedback received? i just googled about ebay bidding restrictions and what i came up with said that ebay's limits new buyers or sellers from posting so much activity until their feedback grows.

Yes, I had to start a new Ebay account because mine had been inactive for about 5 years. They said they could see it but couldn't make it active so I lost all my previous feedback, etc. I started the new one on 10/4/17 and have 86 positive feedbacks since then. 66 from unique users. They send me plenty of offers for free listings on the selling side so I have never had a problem there.

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@mcadams said:
    Dang....that sucks.

Good to have you back, haven’t seen you post in a long time around here. Hope all is well.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

You definitely have enough feedback by now so who knows what it is from.

• OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Its always extraordinary to me with the technological platforms we are all operating on how primitively a great deal of issues sophisticated companies like ebay are being dealt with .... A sweeping policy is enforced and yet the low or insignificant dollar amount is not taken into consideration.....under 10.00 per transaction. REALLY? ITs like they have to enter the coding on an "as needed" basis to tinker with 1 issue. They cant seem to roll things out with any foresight whatsoever.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Did you contact Ebay to see what they had to say?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

It's normal for new, low feedback accounts to prevent fraud and shilling.

The solution is sniping.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks, but thankfully I will never see that message as I don't place early bids. I only snipe.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

@dennis07 said:
    Did you contact Ebay to see what they had to say?

I called them and they tried to remove the restriction while I was on the phone but it didn't work so she was going to send it to the "technical" team to have it fixed. Said that it should be taken care of in an hour but if they decline it she would call me back. I will either have to just add stuff to my watch list or snipe. Any suggestions on a good sniping program? As I stated before I have no idea how to go about that.

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

there are a few sniping programs that all work perfectly and are free, so they're basically a push on which is best

gavelsnipe is my preferred option. it's great.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

MyIbidder is my preferred sniping program, gavelsnipe seems to be the most popular here based on past discussions. They're all pretty similar in functionality, put in your eBay login/password, pull down items from your Watch List, enter your max bid & how many seconds prior to auction end to execute (usually something in the 3-7 second range).

Most have paid services as well that include additional redundancy to ensure your snipe is placed, but I've never had an issue with the free except when eBay was tinkering around with captchas. I doubt the redundancy would have helped then anyway. MyIbidder also has a paid Group option so if you schedule bids for multiple auctions of the same card and only want to win one copy, it automatically cancels snipes for other copies you've scheduled bids for.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Bob’s sniping service is likely behind all of this

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I think it's the buyer groups fault.

• coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

The reason being is to protect sellers from buyers who may want to harm or swindle their auctions or listings by making false purchases en masse, or vice versa to keep a seller from shill bidding.

all around collector of many fine things

• @linunxabuser said:

@AaronfromKy said:
    The only reason I said 4 auctions is because I was high bidder on 4 and the same message popped up on me. I could be completely wrong, though.

No way man. I was high bidder on 25 auctions from the same seller for over 6 days just a few weeks back. Ended up winning 24 of them.

After reading erikthered's post I did have a very low eBay feedback at the time. So that was probably the reason.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Bidding Scheduler. It's free and have had no problems with it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

As an update, a very nice lady, representing Ebay, got the limitation removed within 24 hours. She sounded lovely and did a great job!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 2:56PM

that happen to me one time. It is because your buying too much. Back away from the computer and take a breath. HAHA

on a serious note, what they are trying to prevent is price driving. Some folks are not honest and bid up items or take them and then don't pay. They just want to prevent issues. They told me I was not allowed to win more then 75-80% of my bids. It silly but what do you expect, its Feebay

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using GavelSnipe forever - free and works great.

Only thing - if you change your PW on eBay? Don't forget to do same with the snipe.

It's easy to set up and use - I promise.

Mike