Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chinese or Japanese WWII banknotes help please

feddyfeddy Posts: 1
edited January 15, 2018 11:36AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I'm not sure if this is the place to be asking about these, but I'm very interested in this collection from my great grandpa. He was killed in WWII but somehow my grandmother aquired these notes. I was wondering, first, what they are and an approximate value and how much the value may or may not go up over time, and second, since he never made it back home, how did we get these? Would they have been sent home in the mail, if that was legal or if that was perfectly normal.
Would also like to say to anyone serving in our military thank you for your service and God bless!

Answers

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top four are Japanese paper yens. The bottom three are Japanese occupation of the P.I. !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top left note and the one directly underneath it are Chinese. The top right and the one directly underneath it are regular post WWII Jappanese issues. The other three are so-called Japanese invasion currency from the war for use in the Philippines

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2018 9:36PM

The first two bills on the left were from Republic of China/Taiwan 1936 and 1960. So how is it possible that it was left over from WWII?

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bad, the top two on the left are Chinese !!!
    The top two on the right are post WWII Japanese. Sorry for my mistake !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2018 9:51PM

@Timbuk3 said:
    My bad, the top two on the left are Chinese !!!
    The top two on the right are post WWII Japanese. Sorry for my mistake !!! :s

lol I made the same mistake. It should be my military left so I secretly edited my earlier post after reading yours.

And for the record, only the top bill on the right was issued after WWII since it is was from " Japanese Bank" and not Japanese empire/goverment like the rest of them.

• Options
    SophiaMasonaSophiaMasona Posts: 1
    edited January 16, 2018 3:04AM

I have such banknotes too left over by my grandmother.
    I am curious about them as well. The first two look like Chinese banknotes.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

The currency forum is probably the most appropriate place to ask your questions guys.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-world-currency-forum

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SophiaMasona said:
    I have such banknotes too left over by my grandmother.
    I am curious about them as well. The first two look like Chinese banknotes.

May be I can help, post the picture please.