Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need help with a Middle Eastern medal please

Picked this up at a local B&M because I thought it was cool. It is copper and measures 45mm. It is thick and heavy. Looks Arabic. Maybe Turkish?

Does anyone here specialize in this region or can anyone help me attribute it?

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸

Comments

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Medal is dated AH 1279 (AD 1861)... I would guess Ottoman, but I have not seen this particular piece before...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2018 8:22AM

Okay ... so after some extensive Google searching I think I've figured out that this is a Ottoman Empire (Turkish) commemorative medal for the Montenegrin-Ottoman War of 1861-62.

The reverse (I assume it is the reverse -- with the crescent) is a die used on other Montenegrin-Ottoman War commemorative medals and is inscribed "Relying on the Assistance of Almighty God, Abdulaziz Khan, Sovereign of the Ottoman Empire." A military medal with the same reverse design can be seen at this link: https://medals-orders.com/turkey/turkey-ottoman-montenegro-war-military-medal-1863-decoration-campaign-turkish-abdul-aziz.html

Military award medals with the same reverse design were instituted in 1863 by Sultan Abdul Aziz.

Not sure when this particular medal was struck, but it is probably fair to assume it was struck in approximately 1863, as were other medals of this type. I could not find a photo of it anywhere though, nor do I have any idea what the obverse says (other than the date AD "1279" at the bottom).

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸