Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NYINC report

1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2018 12:31PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Arrived on Friday around 10:30 a.m. Very easy to get to from Grand Central Station.

Immediate impression: liked the one room layout even though the aisles were tight. Noticed that most dealers had smaller setups which I suspect was due to shorter length tables. The room was crowded with most dealers having 3 or 4 customers. By 2 p.m. the crowd had thinned quite a bit and I was able to get to revisit some tables. As typical there was not much Canadian material but I was able to acquire a bunch of Pre-confederation tokens from Steve Album, some nice proof-like pieces from Karl Stephens, along with 2 really neat pieces shown below.

Briefly spoke with Coinkat, Mr. Eureka (who had some really cool Canadian error pieces in PCGS holders), Josh at Civitas, and a couple of Canadian friends who made the trip down from Montreal. I thought I saw Stork and her purple purse walk by but I was trying to get a dealers attention and when I looked up she was gone - sorry Kathy.

Here are my two favorite purchases:

From Karl Stephens. A c.1830 Montreal British Militia button that was flattened and used as a token, brass, 29mm, 6.5gr. Catalogued as MB-2 in the Charlton Std Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens 9th ed.

From The Time Machine, Mark Reid. A 1935 Monaco Regates Internationales silvered bronze, 54mm x 59mm, 98gr in original box. Why? Compare the design to the 1937 to date Canadian 10 cents. Had to have it!

Already looking forward to next year!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic items... Sorry to have missed seeing the second item. Terrific images. Great to see you again.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I saw Stork and her purple purse walk by but I was trying to get a dealers attention and when I looked up > she was gone - sorry Kathy.

Coins before socializing :smiley:

I'm sorry I missed you too, it's great to say hello...but we are there for the coins first and foremost.