Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unique? 1710 V 1/2 Louis D'or? Louis D'or Au soleil. Any info appreciated.

SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2018 6:18AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This piece is out of my numismatic scope, so I am looking to see if any one has information on this coin. I only know that V stands for apparently the city of Troyes. Any information on rarity, how many have been graded, estimated value and grade would be appreciated. Krause just lists it as Rare. Or if it is actually what I think it is, it may very well be a common piece. Ive tried looking up pcgs and ngc pop reports but dont see any. Similarly cant find any auction records for the aforementioned coin to compare.

Regards!

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

Comments

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

I am not an expert on this series, but the central sun with fleur de lis on reverse appears to match the Louis d'or au soleil type. Unsure if this piece is authentic or contemporary counterfeit. Though there apparently were a number of those for this series, Gadoury does not list any for the V mint mark.

A 1/2 Louis d'or au soleil should be 20 to 21mm diameter and weigh 4.079g (+- a few hundredths)

The Louis d'or au soleil should be 24 to 26mm diameter and weigh 8.158g (+- a few hundredths)

I don't think the double Louis was struck at that mint for 1710, but those would be 29 to 30mm and 16.315g (+- a few hundredths)

Let me know if it matches one of those specs and I'll see if I have any auction catalogs or other relevant data for it.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2018 8:32AM

I've only seen such a gold coin in person on a few occasions, but tend to think it is authentic. It would be great if you could tell us the weight and diameter.

Editions Victor Gadoury 'White' Book (2012) says 'Rarity 3' for a Louis d'or with this date and mint mark, but I can't find the rarity scale in the book! Looking at the pricing, It seems 'R1' is the most common, 'R5' is the rarest.

This period in French history was chaotic for most Frenchmen because of big Wars and Famine. At this time, gold coins are struck much more nicely than most silver coins.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 @JohnnyCache @PatAR

Thanks for all the infos guys.

I am currently away, and wont have access to the coin for another month. But when I am back from my travels, I will message you guys again with the infos and some better pictures. In the mean time, any more info please feel free to post.

Kind Regards

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    edited February 27, 2018 7:40AM

@BillDugan1959 @JohnnyCache @PatAR

Confirmed it is a Louis D'or and not a half.

Better picture attached of the reverse.

• Options

Hi , i have buy it ; i hope it will be great