Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Dude! Nice jump in the 67 Set!

Dan,

Just notice you pick up about 8% in your 67 set. If I'm not mistaken, the GPA also jumped a bit as well!
Nice going - you're getting close!!!image
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Dude - very nice indeed! It's a real horse race in the '67 Topps set!!
  • Options
    Dan

Outstanding!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Show us the set!!!

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Without a doubt, Dan has some of the finest 67 Topps cards in existence. He is to be congratulated for putting his fine set up on the registry.

As the set builders know, each grade point from here on in is difficult, if not impossible, because many of these cards have yet to be submitted to PSA or simply may not exist.

Dan has tracked down lots of nice cards for many of the registry collectors and his unselfish approach has not only yielded him some incredible vintage cards, but respect from the entire community. Integrity pays off, and Dan is a true role model for everyone.

Your friend,

Joel

"Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for your kind words - especially from the '67 King himself, Skylaneflyer.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Nicely done...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Dude: Makes me proud to be '67 guy...image To have the top few guys in this year be so accessible, involved, and even assisting in the building of other sets is a great thing. I really wonder if the set builders of other vintage years are as "connected" as Joel, Jim, Ed Alan and you. Sure they may have websites and cool nicknames--but 1967 is based on substance, no fluff! Here's to hoping you eventually take the drop cloth off of that bad boy and show the world when it is ready!! image Just wondering, to anyone really, how are you displaying/keeping your cards? Being the modest guy that I am,image I have two wooden 55-PSA card (5 rows of 11) wall hangers flanking my TV in the middle of my living room. It is padlocked. Every couple of months, I'll rotate the cards through in different designs--teams, positions, leagues, etc. At present it is AL Hitters in one and NL Pitchers in the other.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Just to hammer my point home was the recent (and typical) competitive bidding on some of the low pops on the Bay. Always entertaining to watch the last 30 seconds...image

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I really wonder if the set builders of other vintage years are as "connected" >>

Eric - All I know is, the '65 bunch has our own chat room, and most of the bigwigs are on these boards too! Brian, Wayne, John, Mike, myself among others. Perhaps we should challenge the '67 bunch to a duel.image ...jay
  • Options
    I know there are some great guys in the 67 bunch but I want to tell you a bit about the 65 collectors. I'm opening the mail a couple of weeks ago and there is a letter from John Basilone and inside is a Met rookie card (449) in psa 8. It's one of the 14 I needed at the time for my set. Four of the 65 collectors had gotten together and just sent me this card as a gift knowing it's one that I needed. John had bought the card several months earlier for his collection. I was just stunned. I couldn't believe a group of guys that I haven't even met would make such an incredible gesture. It's something I"ll never forget. There are just so many quality people on these boards. Anyways, I know there are great folks from probably all of the years, but the 65 group will always be number 1 in my book.

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Wayne: Wow...What a story. Here I was getting ready to tout '67 with 8 sets over 50% (to only 3 for the 65's) and you throw that up on the board. Kinda reminds me of losing a card game with a full house to two pairs--one pair of threes and another pair of threes...As you said, the registry sets are filled with many class actsimage

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Eric,

And I'd like to point out that the 72 collectors are having our annual convention in Maui later this year. We've worked out a deal with Hilton and Continental and we're flying in some of the better known rookies from the set to be guest speakers (Fisk, Chambliss, Cey).

Seminars that are scheduled include:

Best sources for high grade material
    6th series rare? Fact or Fiction
    The great debate - why Fregosi got 3 cards and Ryan 1

Maybe if your real nice we'll let you see the limited addition 72 reprint set that we've contract with Topps for - the top 15 on the set registry are going to be cards 789 to 804 (Jay's already 788) and I'm not sure how Carlos worked it out but he got an In Action card too...

So, you've gotta be careful when you start with the my groups better than your group stuff!image I think that the 72'ers, the Kellogg's guys, the 64 Giants, the 65 crew and the 69 guys will all give you a run for your money!

As for displaying my cards - the 72's are currently in a locked fireproof metal locker with a webcam and a big dog sleeping in front.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank,

Big dog? Have you seen Scooter, our 260 lb. Old English Mastiff?

Sky

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    It's pretty much "dog eat dog" in the 1951 Bowman world although I have talked and dealt with several of the bigger players (including a couple that are not listed). I haven't ever talked to Fogel or the "Rabbi". Everyone is certainly cordial enough and I have sold cards to Branca as well as having bought cards from Merkel. However, the competition is pretty cutthroat to say the least.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Joel,

TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY POUNDS?????? image How can you afford 67's after paying for dog food??? Does he have his own king-sized bed???

Alright... then I have a MEDIUM sized 100 pound German Shepherd...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Wayne-

Thanks for the nice words..it was a collective effort between myself, Dave(sellerman23), Brian(psa1965topps), and Jay (QualityCards) (who came up with the idea). We just wanted show our support as you have been a true inspiration for many 1965 collectors. BTW...that wasnt just any 1965 PSA8....the Mets Rookies #449 is a very hard to come by...and cost me over $70.00 when I purchased it...which is crazy money for a 65 PSA8 common. image

Best of Luck as you upgrade and head towards completion and congratulations on being the new owner of 2 out of the 21 PSA 10 1965's in existence.

John Basilone
  • Options
    Frank,

These dogs are actually not big eaters. He's good for about 8 cups a day of dry food, that's it. Can he eat more? Yes. He can do an Arby's Giant Roast beef sandwich in one bite. Because they are so big, you have to watch their weight carefully. Many confuse our Old English with the other breeds like the Bullmastiff or Neopolitan (like in Turner & Hooch).

These guys are couch potatoes and do not run alot (when they do, they gallup like a horse). They are considered "gentle giants". We take him to Starbucks and kid's walk right up to him with no problem - they love people.

The downside is the cleanup - it's not pretty.

Sky

• Options
    ejguru,

While the 65 registry is light on 50% or higher sets currently, please keep in mind this is only one measurement of success/dedication. The 65 collectors have several folks that are on very limited budgets. I have built my set to just over 10% in less than 9 months spending less a month on cards than some folks spend a month on postage. I am not taking anything away from the big time collectors, but % complete or set rating is not the only measurement of dedication or love of the hobby.

Wayne,

It was our pleasure. Glad you enjoy the card.

Brian

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    In regards to 1965 Topps:

By the end of the year...theres going to be a bunch of sets at 50% or higher. I know of several affluent collectors that have not yet registered their sets and they are "high-end" with tons of 9's. Also, I know of two other collectors (myself included) that are very near the 20% completion barrier in just 4 months (598 card set)..and at that pace should be close to 50% by the end of the year.

John
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dude:

Amazing 1967 set.

There are still so many sets out there where the major players are not listed in the Registry at all. In the 1955 Bowman world, there is really only one close-to-completely graded set listed, and I know of at least five other players who are close to finished with PSA 8 sets or better.

The 1955 Bowman world has been upset recently by the emergence of "ConeyIslandSportscards", a new individual on Ebay who seems to pay top $$$ for any cards he needs -- he has often broke the $100 barrier on PSA 8 commons, and has not shied away from PSA 8 commons at the $300+ PSA 8 specimens, too.

Probably the best thing that the 1955 Bowman set currently has going for it is that there are only two major players for PSA 9 and PSA 10 cards -- there seem to be four or five other set collectors who only want PSA 8. Works out well in some regards, I think. The PSA 8 prices have been amazingly close to PSA 9 prices, and some of the PSA 8's currently on Ebay are already at 60% of what some of the PSA 10 commons sold for earlier this year. As someone who follows PSA 9's, I really don't mind, but I just don't fully understand someone who will pay $300 - $500 for a PSA 8 common, but wouldn't pay $550 for a PSA 10 common. There are at least three or four commons in PSA 8 on Ebay now that I think will eclipse $500 - $600...

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WOW....MS and Sky posting in the same thread...its seems to have been a while!! I hope both of you decide to stick around as I have learned a ton from your informative posts in the past.

John
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    John:

I kept quiet on the boards over the past few weeks because I was married May 25, 2002 in Caracas, Venezuela, following up by a two-week honeymoon in South Africa.

Though I keep the vast majority of my valuable cards in the safety deposit box at the bank, there are probably a few too many others who know where I live to broadcast a one month absence on my part. I am happy to be back on the boards -- and I look forward to contributing in a non-controversial way whenever and wherever possible.

Sorry -- I was going to post a picture of the wedding up here, but can't do that on geocities anymore. Oh well!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    The link doesn't work.
  • Options
    Marc - Congratulations! Getting married is more of an achievement then being #1 on the registry. Married in Venezuela and honeymoon in South Africa, wow! thats fantastic. I was married in PA and honeymooned in Vermont.

Wayne - Glad to help you on your achievement as top dawg of the '65 world. And within a month or 2 I should surpass the coveted 50% plateau. And I know that many others will follow suite. Everytime I add to my set, I see that several have been updating theirs as well. So we are all progressing at a nice rate....jay
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Marc - congratulations.
    skylane - that's not a dog. That's a pony with bizarre teeth. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Brian, John, Jay and all the '65 ers: Humor and good-natured ribbing doesn't play well online, and this is another example. You guys are obviously "lifers" and have nothing but my utmost respect and fellowship as a PSA collector/set builder. image
    Jay should be able to confirm my lack of "deep pockets" image and I fully realize set completion % is just a number and doesn't reveal much about the collector's love and comittment or the collection's quality and relative meaning. Best of luck on your sets and hope we cross paths somewhere (East Coast National '02, A.C. National '03, or a Ft. Wash. show) and share a pitcher (or 2 image)!

Sky: How's Scooter's range at first? If he can hit a lick, he looks like Mo Vaughn's replacement at first base!

MS: Congrats and hope you enjoyed the sights of So. America! Your posts, which are always informative and on the money, were missed. Welcome back to the board.

• Options
    No worries ejguru, anyone willing to work on 7 sets at once is someone I'd gladly share a pint of beer

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Yeah.....I guess we can call it "work," can't we....image Now if only I can pull that off convincingly...

• Options
    Scooter is everyone's friend!

Sky

• Options
    SKY - Now I know where the Noggles went, he ate 'em!. ...jay
  • Options
    Jay you have a very good memory. Any other missions for the Scooter you care to recommend?

Sky

• Options
    SKY - Yes! I have a few more missions for Scooter, perhaps I'll Email you my requests image ...jay
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Guys,

Terrific post and thanks for the kind words.

Marc congrats the marriage. It's sounds like you had quite a trip! Glad to have you back!