Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Box break question

As I am coming back into the hobby i have noticed “box break” auctions and Instagram posts. I get someone buys the box and people buy the rights to the certain team cards and inserts pulled. I don’t get what the box owner gets out of it. What am i missing? Thanks. Pman

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Profit?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Profit indeed, as the cumulative total of the slots sold typically dwarfs the price paid for the whole.

I see a lot of these pack and box breaks going on these days and frankly speaking, I don't understand the appeal at all. You are paying (in most cases) an inflated amount for single cards and all the fun of ripping the pack or box is enjoyed by the box or pack breaker who may or may not even treat your cards with proper care. And god forbid you pay for a slot in a vintage pack break and you get an OC Mario Mendoza while the guy next on the list gets the dead centered Brett RC. If you want to rip, buy the pack and rip it, and enjoy every moment of it!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 1:34AM

All the choices that exist in the hobby make it so there is something for everyone and ones budget.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I did one break, with DA Cardworld. For the NBA, there were 30 teams and each was either $30 or $60 ( I don't remember for sure) for a case of Panini Spectra, which is a $250+ for 8 card box, 4 boxes per case. The teams were random and I got the Denver Nuggets. I got two cards out of it, and decided I didn't really like it so I have not done any more like that. I did one that a fellow card blogger did with older releases and ended up with a Steph Curry autograph.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History