Home Sports Talk
Options

Some thoughts on Alabama and Ohio State.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2018 9:15AM in Sports Talk

It is hard to deny that these two Teams generate more interest than most others during the NCAA Football season, so I thought I would try to discuss them a bit.

First, I would ask a favor of garnettstyle and Bullsitter:
garnettstyle --- please refrain from cheerleading for the Buckeyes and try to be openminded about everything.
Bullsitter --- please try to avoid focusing on Iowa, it was simply a loss in an otherwise very fine season.

For my part, I would like to be lawyer-ly and stipulate to a few things:
--- both Alabama and Ohio State are perennial Top Five Teams.
--- both Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are top Head Coaches, they have been successful where ever they coach.
--- both schools have rabid fan-bases and a long, proud tradition of winning.
--- both schools are typically at the top in recruiting and routinely place many fine players in the NFL.

With all that said, I made mention earlier in the season about the fact that the Teams in the Big 10 seem to be gaining ground on the Buckeyes. That is what I thought might be good for discussion: How are Teams in the SEC and Big 10 going to catch these schools?? it seems clear that over the years Alabama and Ohio State consistently recruit well, High School players are anxious to go there and the schools tend to find them with their scouting programs. Even as their success means assistants are lost via opportunity elsewhere they manage to find replacements without losing ground.

The way Alabama has played in recent years the four-team lineup has been relegated to a race for three. When Ohio State plays to form it is essentially a lottery for two. I don't expect that to change soon unless there is a seismic shift somewhere. Sadly, that outcome prevents two of the best schools from challenging themselves with their scheduling, there is simply too much to risk.

The recent rise of Georgia is good for the playoff, but they play in the weaker East of the SEC. Alabama should be challenged more in the West by Auburn and LSU but those two Teams have been inconsistent.

Ohio State is in the same boat as Alabama, the Big 10 East seems to field more competitive Teams with Penn State, Michigan State and Michigan.

The way I see it, the other Teams in each Conference need to get better because Alabama and Ohio State won't soon be having any 6-3 Conference records, not the way the scheduling is done. If the committee seems willing to allow either Team to enter the playoff without a Conference Championship it makes it even harder on their conference foes, they can improve, win head-to-head and still not make the cut. Competition for recruits and a more determined effort by the by all Teams in the conferences seems like the only solution. Teams like Auburn, LSU, Penn State and Wisconsin need to show the NCAA that they can stay good year after year.

In a nutshell, Alabama and Ohio State have proven that they don't lose very often, it will require other Teams getting good enough to regularly beat them. Good luck with that.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 12:52PM

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on where one sits its actually all about Alabama. When you win 5 National Titles in 9 years everyone everywhere is chasing them. As great as the Buckeyes have been to put it in perspective Ohio State would have to win 4 National Championships in a row to one up them. As of now OSU and Clemson are 2A and 2B.

But I agree with your premise that OSU and Alabama will be in the hunt every year for the foreseeable future. You have to include Clemson as well in this playoff era as they have been 3 times.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It feels great to be in the hunt every year, to be considered one of the best, year in, year out. But Alabama is in a class by itself. I agree it will take back to back to back championships to be considered their equal.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Its not a true playoff when you leave out the best division/conference. The Big ten went 14-6 this year against the non conference power 5.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

garnettstyle, either you are so butt hurt it has blinded you or you are just a freakin' moron. for God's sake, man, reread the OP and try to be objective.

my reasoning for inclusion of the two Teams in the thread is because of the way they tend to bleed together in conversations about the Football season, they seem to have a staunch base, proud history and consistent play year after year. you are correct that Alabama is on an unprecedented roll. I have thoughts about the reasons but I had hoped we could talk about how their rivals can catch them.

as I noted, Georgia should be considered Alabama's chief roadblock in the future since they play in opposite divisions, Wisconsin is probably the same to OSU for the same reason. as I have also said elsewhere, it is disheartening that Conferences have been expanding, that has caused the end of everyone playing each other every year like in the days of old. that's chiefly fallout from the BCS series.

if LSU and Auburn, Penn State and one of the Michigan Teams can recruit better and maintain their level of play I think we may see things change.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I think you sum things up pretty well. However, I think Alabama is still a step-up from OSU and everybody else though. It might be a small step up but I do think Alabama is just slightly ahead overall. OSU is certainly right there on Bama's heals and maybe it's really just splitting hairs and/or my perception from the "SEC biased media"... but also that beatdown by Clemson last year is still in the back of my mind before I say OSU is equal to bama. Will be fun to watch both schools as barring a lot of injuries or another scandal both teams will be in the hunt each year. As for the other teams in their conference it seems OSU may have it tougher next year with so many Big 10 teams potentially in the top 10 (OSU, Penn State, Wisci, Michigan State and maybe Michigan). Ohio State plays at TCU, at Penn State, at Michigan State and then Michigan. Alabama's schedule appears a lot easier at this point up until that biggie vs the Citadel. Lol. The SEC doesn't appear that it will be as strong, at the top of the conference, next year. A two loss OSU could be in the running for a playoff spot!? Hopefully these two teams play in the playoffs next year.

• Options

Alabama plays Citadel next year? Oh Gawd, please don't tell garnett.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Alabama plays Citadel next year? Oh Gawd, please don't tell garnett.

That tough Bama schedule. UCF would have a hard time with their schedule, I mean with LSU and Ole Miss and all. lol

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

If UCF goes undefeated next season, will they still be shut out of the 4 team playoff? Answer is most likely yes.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I should be more respectful to the Patriots...I mean Alabama.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 10:07AM

Keets said.........."Bullsitter --- please try to avoid focusing on Iowa, it was simply a loss in an otherwise very fine season."

It was more than simply a loss, it was an elimination loss. As far as me focusing on Iowa, at least somebody was.... ;)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Keets said.........."Bullsitter --- please try to avoid focusing on Iowa, it was simply a loss in an otherwise very fine season."

It was more than simply a loss, it was an elimination loss. As far as me focusing on Iowa, at least somebody was.... ;)

Unlike Bama, OSU played a tough non conference schedule with Oklahoma. So that gave OSU no margin for error after the loss. If OSU played bama's schedule, good chance they would have finished with 0 losses.

• Options

It is extremely difficult for anyone to go undefeated. All the more so if you play in a tough conference. If OSU played Alabama's schedule they certainly may have stumbled somewhere. However they would have been a lock for the playoffs.

Ralph