Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS grading and Breen variety attribution

Looking at the respective websites, it appears that NGC attributes Breen varieties on request. But PCGS does not list Breen on their varieties list. I'd like to cross over some NGC Breen coins to PCGS but does not sound like an option?? Does anyone know why PCGS does not recognize these and if they are considering recognizing them in the future?

Comments

  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe because lots of people don't like Breen and PCGS doesn't want to deal with it? Maybe too many varieties have changed and aren't considered valid?

    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There's almost always a better alternative to a Breen number for any variety that anyone cares about, whether a CPG number or one cataloged in a specialty guide by people who actually studied the series closely.

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You have to see if the "Breen" coin is a recognized and valid specimen first before trying to cross it. IMHOP.

    I might have one or 2 ANACS Breen coins in my collection, and that is what I would do.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Breen numbers are for everything, including regular circulation strikes.

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At least two TPGS will put Breen numbers on coins when requested.

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

    From what I have seen, Breen tossed a wide lasso on several series. I agree that there are probably other more specialized attributors recognized by PCGS. Which series wwere you (@historybuff) looking at?

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @davewesen said:
    Breen numbers are for everything, including regular circulation strikes.

    True. Beware of sellers that attach a Breen number to a normal coin in hopes that a buyer will pay more for the number only, thinking it's something special. There's no shortage of sellers that do this.

  • Options
    historybuffhistorybuff Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

    From what I have seen, Breen tossed a wide lasso on several series. I agree that there are probably other more specialized attributors recognized by PCGS. Which series wwere you (@historybuff) looking at?

    oih82w8 - I am looking at no motto gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file