Home Sports Talk
Options

The Sky Is Falling.....

erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 5, 2018 5:55AM in Sports Talk

It wouldn't be the NFL Postseason without ESPN trying to stir the pot with their annual drama piece about the New England Patriots. This year's theme: They hate each other.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

My football season ends on Monday.

Actually it should have ended New Years day with UCF holding the trophy.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady thinks he's the general manager.
    What is funny is in a year or two its going to prove to be a huge mistake
    that the Pats got rid of Garappolo. And especially getting nothing in return for him.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2018 8:14AM

No, that "Tom Brady thinks he's the general manager" is Fake news like most of that ESPN hit piece.

I agree that trade could turn into a huge mistake somewhere in the future but:
    1. Garoppolo has a **Looooooooong ** way to go before he's a legit star QB. Sure he's won a handful of starts to start his career but he has to keep doing it when opposing defenses have a year's worth of his game film to work with. I think NE made a mistake just for the fact his best chance of turning into a legit star QB would have probably been in NE.
    2. That being said,if Brady wins another SB in NE their decision to trade Garoppolo was the right choice in my honest opinion. I'd rather see Brady win #6 over watching Garoppolo try to make the playoffs and get to the SB had he been Brady's replacement. As long as Brady is QB in NE,his team is going to be the #1 favorite to win the SB even if its just a few more years.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

These guys have been together for a very long time, it’s a relationship and over time there will be bumps along the way, this whole thing definitely makes sense that there was or still is some type of rift between the three. It made no sense that Jimmy G was given away like he was unless Belichek did it out of spite? The bottom line is that they would have had to franchise tag him and at that point he would be paid more than Brady, I’m sure Kraft wanted to keep Brady happy so he probably ordered Belichek to do a trade. Either way the Pats are in the playoffs and are not letting this distraction hurt the team as a whole. The off-season will be interesting

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I love Belichek. Admire Brady. Respect the franchise. But I'm sick of them winning. That said, the more they're piled on, the stronger they seem to get. This seems to play to their favor. We'll see how it plays out. Winning tends to cure most ailments.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Pats franchise Jimmy G at 24 million doesn't that mean Brady needs a raise to more than that? Wouldn't he be pissed off if a backup is getting more than him to not play? That means at least 50 million in QB salary for one season

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    If the Pats franchise Jimmy G at 24 million doesn't that mean Brady needs a raise to more than that? Wouldn't he be pissed off if a backup is getting more than him to not play? That means at least 50 million in QB salary for one season

Not if you trade or release Brady.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Packers transitioned from Favre to Rodgers and kept winning. Favre was not happy and went on to have a few good years elsewhere. The Colts went from Manning to Luck. Manning went on to win a Super Bowl elsewhere. The Pats should have done the same if they think it was time for #2 QB to become #1. But regardless of the many opinions here the Pats organization appears to know what they are doing, just check their record.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited January 7, 2018 8:52AM

@bronco2078 I honestly think it just came down to Kraft told Belichick he didn't want to pay 24M to a backup QB and that's why they traded Garoppolo. Not because Brady asked Kraft to have JG traded and they did to make Tom happy.

@Time4aGansett The Pats were never gonna trade or release Tom Brady,especially not after a season where he probably wins MVP and has his team as the #1 favorite to win the SB this year. If that happens NE would have won back to back and 3 out of the last 4 SBs. NO team would move on from their starting QB to his replacement in that scenario no matter how old that QB is.

This whole Brady-Garoppolo situation just came down to bad timing and both QBs having the same agent,who is trying to have his superstar QB play till he's 45 while trying find his young QB a starting job with a huge contract. For Garoppolo In New England with Tom Brady still playing like an All-Pro QB,it just wasn't gonna happen. It sucks for the Pats in the longterm but they're legit contenders as long as Brady is around. I'd love to have seen what JG could do in NE as the full time starter but i honestly would rather see Brady finish out his career here and try to get the 6th ring.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots are in the playoffs with a chance to win a 6th Super Bowl. If anyone thinks the proper or smart thing to do was to let Brady go is out of their minds. You play to win NOW, you don’t throw away a potential Super Bowl run so you can save your backup QB for the future. I stand by the Pats decision except for only getting a 2nd round pick, shame on Belichek for that regardless of his reasoning.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Controversy with bellicheat? You lie...

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    My football season ends on Monday.

Actually it should have ended New Years day with UCF holding the trophy.

This

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN loves lefty news. Track record of hating on Patriots and righty owner.