Home Q & A Forum

Foreign coins struck at US Mint , WWII

Question: Why do so few of the more than a score countries' coins struck at the US Mint, 1940s, bear a US mint mark?

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess that only the countries affiliated with us in some way did. I'll need to check on that. Do you have a copy of Foreign Coins Struck at the U.S. Mint?

• grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭

Insider2 Posts: Thanks for the response, you are the only one thus far. I do have a copy of Foreign Coins.... I will explore your comment; it's thoughtful. Tim Ziebarth in Foreign Coins Manufactured at US Mints, (3/06) writes: "...other countries opted for the U.S. Mint to produce the minting dies and to mint the issues." (pg.2). Wondering if the US Mint produced the dies then a mint mark was added??? Any thought or info on this line of reasoning? grayroads

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's say the government of Peru wanted us to make their coins (they did). If there was an indication that Peru had to get another country to make its coins (mintmark) it might be an indication that Peru was not a great nation?

Great Britain has also made coins for other countries. I believe some were not under their jurisdiction at the time. Don't quote me on this as I'm not near my Library. :wink:

• Insider2Posts:The question of national sovereignty with a mint mark as a symbol of pride is an excellent and merits consideration. Thank you!
    PS: Consider a few nations asking that their mintmark be on the coinage, yet the minting was done elsewhere.