Home Sports Talk

2018 NFL Draft and the Cleveland Browns.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's a little early to be thinking about the NFL draft but I thought I would try.

Understanding that the Cleveland Browns have the #1 and #4 picks overall and I think five in the first two rounds, who should they chase after??? Personally, I hope they pass the temptation to use the first two picks on a QB and try to improve in other areas. They need DB's and offensive lineman and if there's a top DL available that would help.

Who are the top guys at those positions that should be available??

After that and looking forward are there QB's that could be taken, so-to-speak sleepers??? There are plenty of guys that were taken in later rounds that turn out to be stars, look no further than Tom Brady, so it happens.

Anyway, help me to understand who the best players at the positions I mentioned, guys other than QB for the first round.

Al H.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they take a QB in the first round I will puke. You are absolutely correct, they need to get better on defense, which I do see improvement already, and the offensive line.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 12:28PM

It's a QB rich draft with no obvious monster D beasts at the very top. If they don't want to take a QB or Barkley they will need to trade out of the number one pick.

With the 4th pick they could target

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
    Celin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
    Derwin James, S, Florida State
    Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    Connor Williams, OT, Texas
    Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

three things:
    1). I can't get past "Defense wins championships" when I look at these high picks.
    2). I have thought about trading down with the #1, a strategy that might work. they could swap #1's with the right Team and also get another pick in a high round.
    3). Mark, your Wolverines are looking OK and playing inspired defense.

@keets said:
    three things:

3). Mark, your Wolverines are looking OK and playing inspired defense.

Jinx

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

something changed and suddenly SC seems unstoppable.

and somehow Michigan has managed to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Coach Harbaugh has still not done anything as a coach, pro or college, that impresses me.

edited January 1, 2018 1:56PM

When you have 5 turnovers you deserve what you get. When you have 5 turnovers you have to put the blame on the players I would think

mark

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to the draft........how many draft positions did Dallas lose by beating the eaglets??!!

Geeze...they can't do anything right....they should have laid down and rested ALL the starters for next year!

I think at the end of the third quarter you could see defeat on the faces of the Michigan players. that's something the coaches have to be held responsible for.

edited January 1, 2018 5:32PM

@keets said:
    I think at the end of the third quarter you could see defeat on the faces of the Michigan players. that's something the coaches have to be held responsible for.

Mind reader too I see : ). think they were just stunned. They had plenty of chances to come back. For sure the coaches bear some responsibly too. Football is the ultimate team sport. The coaches however didn't throw the picks or fumble the ball. It was a tough year for Michigan football

Happy New Year Al

m

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 5:57PM

If I recall correctly the Browns are going to have about a 100M in available cap space as well. They could realistically go hard after Cousins or try to work a deal with Chicago for Mike Glennon or a longshot with Alex Smith. Then they could go draft best player available,aside from QB, with all of those high picks.

edit: they could also go after AJ Mccarron again. I'm pretty sure he'll be hitting the free agency market this offseason.

I thought the same thing in years past. both me and my son thought they should have gone after Alex Smith and then a couple years ago after Jay Cutler when he was with the Bears. those type of QB's could have carried them much better than draft picks and the picks could have been used elsewhere.

@keets

After watching these playoff games Minkah Fitzpatrick& Roquan Smith would a great place for Cleveland to start

m