Home Sports Talk

Gruden coming back to coach the Raiders?

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Jon Gruden will be the next coach of the Oakland Raiders" - Adam Schefter

Never thought he's leave the booth and that 7 million dollar salary as an analyst for the grind of being a head coach again in the NFL and this could all be smoke and mirrors again but rumors are strong that Raiders are going to back up the truck and include a stake in team ownership to lure Gruden out of retirement after abruptly firing del Rio today.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 7:20PM

The Raiders were a huge disappointment this year, Gruden would be a great improvement if he went all in

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The Raiders were a huge disappointment this year, Gruden would be a great improvement if he went all in

I'd love to see it~he's one of the more entertaining personalities in the game.

However, I do think that his legacy is a bit greater than his actual resume and that coming back he risks ruining that mythical persona he has created if the team struggles under his command. That said, if he brings the Raiders back to the Super Bowl or even deep into the playoffs, his legendary status would be cemented.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rex Ryan in the booth would be fun

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the raiders sucked this year. I remember thinking at the start of the season well the qb is healthy they should have a good run :s .

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

ARGH!!! He sure would look good standing on the Dallas sidelines. He is just what the Cowboys need. I don't see us doing anything under the BOZO we have as HC.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

The QB situation in Oakland is better than Dallas. I think the Raiders will be an easier turnaround than Dallas (though I think both can make the playoffs next year).

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    The QB situation in Oakland is better than Dallas. I think the Raiders will be an easier turnaround than Dallas (though I think both can make the playoffs next year).

Robb

I go the other way , Prescott is a bit better than Carr I think but the QB isn't the issue on either team. Dallas needs a coach that is somehow excellent but willing to bow down to Jones. Don't the Raiders mainly need help on defense? I haven't seen them except the Pats game this year.

It's official. Ten Million a year for 10 years. JJ let another one get away. I guess he is satisfied with our empty headed bystanding watching the game in a haze coach.

It's getting harder and harder to be a Cowboy fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 years is a long time for a head coaching job in the NFL but at least he's gonna have a pretty good QB in Derek Carr which should be huge for his game. Gruden did help turn Rich Gannon into an NFL MVP not to long ago.

@DIMEMAN said:
    It's official. Ten Million a year for 10 years. JJ let another one get away. I guess he is satisfied with our empty headed bystanding watching the game in a haze coach.

It's getting harder and harder to be a Cowboy fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'd never coach for Dallas or Jerry Jones anyway, so don't feel too bad.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner is ESPN as they are broke. Cutting a seven million dollar commitment is a gift.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its going to be nice having Gruden at the helm of the Raiders just as the Chiefs are
    starting the Patrick Mahoomes era. There will be a lot of wailing, suffering, and grinding
    of teeth in Oakland for the next 15 years at least.
    You are not going to age well, Gruden. Should have stayed in the booth.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gruden will probably get Alex Smith in a Raiders uniform.

@pocketpiececommems said:

He's got Carr, a better QB than Smith, with whom he's already enamored.

@Coinstartled said:
    Winner is ESPN as they are broke. Cutting a seven million dollar commitment is a gift.

This just in after 100 days of research ESPN has determined brady and bill are not best friends . Its cutting edge reporting like that that pays the bills

@grote15 said:

How can you say Carr is better than Alex Smith? Smith had the highest passer
    rating of any QB this year.
    Carr had a really bad year. No way he's as good as Smith.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

I disagree. We've seen Smith's ceiling and this year was as good as it gets. Carr was evolving into a top QB before he got hurt in 2016. If I'm choosing one or the other at this stage, it's Carr, no question.

@grote15 said:

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:

I disagree. We've seen Smith's ceiling and this year was as good as it gets. Carr was evolving into a top QB before he got hurt in 2016. If I'm choosing one or the other at this stage, it's Carr, no question.

Derek Carr will still have to have several pretty good seasons to have the career Smith has had.
    We'll see what happens.
    I actually hope the Chiefs hand the reins over to Mahomes next year. I think he'll end up having a lot
    better career than Carr. He started the last regular season game of the year against the Broncos, built up a nice lead,
    then Reid took him out of the game. He had to put him back in after a couple possessions because the
    Broncos scored a couple times and Mahomes led them on a game winning drive.
    Two of the Broncos defensive backs, one being Aquib Talib, said after the game they were really
    impressed by what he did.
    He probably has the strongest arm of any QB in the NFL right now, and is accurate even on deep balls.
    QB of the future!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

EAsy on Alex don't forget he was saddled with Shleprock Reid for a coach

I like Alex Smith. I just think if you're going to pick him or Carr going forward, Carr has better upside

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish that my favorite team (Denver) would find and sign a "franchise" QB to lead them back into the playoffs :/

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gruden seems to be an expert at the QB position. I imagine he will go with Carr for a couple years until the one he gets in the draft is ready. BTW Denver had Tebow but let him get away. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@SanctionII said:
    Wish that my favorite team (Denver) would find and sign a "franchise" QB to lead them back into the playoffs :/

One John Elway was enough for me.
    I still remember him dropping back to pass, looking like he was going to get sacked( usually by Derrick Thomas)
    then escaping and either throwing for 35 yards or running for 35 yards. He was a master escape artist.LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

This just in after 100 days of research ESPN has determined brady and bill are not best friends . Its cutting edge reporting like that that pays the bills

Is there anything to the rumor about bad blood in NE and that Bill may go the Giants to HC? It seems that not everybody in NE wanted to let Jimmy G go. B)

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Is there anything to the rumor about bad blood in NE and that Bill may go the Giants to HC? It seems that not everybody in NE wanted to let Jimmy G go. B)

Belichick isn't going anywhere and honestly the whole "bad blood" drama has been way overblown. NE was out of options with Garoppolo and they weren't gonna move on from Brady when he's still playing at an MVP level.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carr came off a major leg injury and the team around him was pale in comparison to Alex Smith supporting cast. Alex Smith is a veteran QB known for not driving his team far into the playoffs, I’d take Carr anytime over Alex Smith. Gruden is a much better choice for what’s available, teams are going to be going after the Pats D and O coordinators and trust me they will not be as good as Gruden.