Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GTG 1820s UK Crown

Hi,
I recently acquired these 4 UK Crowns, and I intend to resell. I thought that two of these coins would grade as either damages or cleaned, 1820 (Cleaned/polished) and 1822 (Rim nick at 8 oclock), but I thought the other two were nice, and would grade about EF or EF Details for all. I would appreciate any feedback, and whether you would get some or all of them graded at PCGS.
Thanks,
Obone

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut tells me the first crown, dated 1821, is the best candidate for a straight grade and 40-45 seems reasonable. I would not have the others graded as I suspect they will get a net grade which really does not help given that authenticity is not in question. If your plan is to sell them, you might consider consigning them in the UK.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the 1st one looks to be lightly cleaned to me....the others are certainly a no go for a straight grade...the 1st might.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any of them will straight grade. All are cleaned or damaged.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 4:19PM

IMO, all of the coins will AU something on this side of the Atlantic. We are a little less conservative. You may get lucky and get a "net" straight grade on the first one.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you bought these at/under melt, it makes little sense to work on reselling. The cost of shipping/insurance/grading takes out most of the upside if any, plus a cleaned coin is better kept out of the holder.

• Options
    OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Unless you bought these at/under melt, it makes little sense to work on reselling. The cost of shipping/insurance/grading takes out most of the upside if any, plus a cleaned coin is better kept out of the holder.

Do you mean that these coins are only worth a bit over melt? I thought they cataloged at about 500 each in XF

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they are saying that.

I think that they are saying that whatever the sale proceeds would be ungraded, you won't fully recover any extra outlay for for grading.

The coins are nice, even if cleaned.