Home Q & A Forum
Options

What is the purpose American Numismatic Assn?

As a life member of the ANA, I can see no way the American Numismatic Assn. aids individual collectors.

I've never seen as bleak and unused a topic as So-Called Dollars in ANA. nothing is proffered in this topic and to this SCD Collector, This slight is proof of a discriminatory slight to So=Called Dollar Collectors in the membership. If nothing is forthcoming in recognition of So-Called Dollars, I will seek reimbursement of my initation dues.

Comments

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Unless one is a collector of us or worldwide coins, ANA does little to help expand collectors of medals any deference. NGC offers no grading of non- listed So-Called Dollars -Many collectors specialize in unlisted SCD's. NGC is the most boring grading service - GET A LIFE!!! I've seen nothing to make me wish to grade my So-Called Dollars with NGC!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look in the archives of the Numismatist.

• Options

I do read it - it is a good monthly magazine. Once a member, besides Coin grading courses, the Assn. has and offers little member interactive groups and there is faint activity. There is more activity on one day these pages than there is in Any ANA forum in a month's time. No lifetime subscription to a magazine is worth the $1000.+ and the yearly hit-up for more cash.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 10:10AM

According to the website, it's for

educating and encouraging people to study and collect coins and related items.

Here's the full mission statement:

Our Mission
    The American Numismatic Association is a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and encouraging people to study and collect coins and related items. The Association serves the academic community, collectors and the general public with an interest in numismatics.

The ANA helps all people discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of educational programs including its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars.

Of note, dealers aren't mentioned, but serving the dealer community is a part of the ANA's work as well which is done through Convention & Dealer Relations Committee (recently renamed from simply "Dealer Relations Committee").

I heard a Collector Relations Committee was created back in August with a chairman but I don't see it on their website.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Why don't YOU write and submit a so-called dollars article? They can only publish what is submitted to them. A few years back there was on average one article per issue, but then they stopped showing up. Almost 10 years ago I would guess.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

@BillyKingsley, All I could offer others is my shift away from collecting coins and switching to so-called dollars. Rather, I enjoy the obscurity of So Called Dollars and Do Not wish to promote my hobby. As a long time resident of Seattle, I was an 'unofficial' supporter of "Lesser Seattle" which discouraged non-Washingtonians from entertaining Washington as a state to emigrate.
    I like my "niche", stay away.

• Options
    • Immigrate

...However, I will try to help any collector in any way I can to further their collection goals. When I began collecting others helped. Can I do less?

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 8:03AM

@1patwick said:
    As a life member of the ANA, I can see no way the American Numismatic Assn. aids individual collectors.

I've never seen as bleak and unused a topic as So-Called Dollars in ANA. nothing is proffered in this topic and to this SCD Collector, This slight is proof of a discriminatory slight to So=Called Dollar Collectors in the membership. If nothing is forthcoming in recognition of So-Called Dollars, I will seek reimbursement of my initation dues.

@1patwick said:
    I do read it - it is a good monthly magazine. Once a member, besides Coin grading courses, the Assn. has and offers little member interactive groups and there is faint activity. There is more activity on one day these pages than there is in Any ANA forum in a month's time. No lifetime subscription to a magazine is worth the $1000.+ and the yearly hit-up for more cash.

I have found that with any group I join, coin clubs, car clubs, national organizations, etc. there are TWO BASIC TYPES of folks in the membership.

Basic Membership
    a. Those who are active and do virtually everything.
    b. The "joiners" who benefit from the work of the "a" folks. You and I are in this group.

Both these groups can be divided again into the easy-going folks quietly going on and the whiners. I'm in the first one.

My momma always said: "If you don't like something, get off your butt. Otherwise, shut up!" As I have confessed above, I sit on my butt and shut my mouth. :wink:

PS I too am a Life Member of that organization.

• Options

"@1patwick said:
    ~~As a life member of the ANA, I can see no way the American Numismatic Assn. aids individual collectors.

I've never seen as bleak and unused a topic as So-Called Dollars in ANA. nothing is proffered in this topic and to this SCD Collector, This slight is proof of a discriminatory slight to So=Called Dollar Collectors in the membership. If nothing is forthcoming in recognition of So-Called Dollars, I will seek reimbursement of my initation dues."~~

Whatta Crock I wrote! Thanks for the NEEDED Butt Kick!

After trying to research certain So-Called Dollars left me 'unfulfilled' in finding relevent information
    on certain SCD's. I tried further and was frustrated - Still no excuse for fuming - but I did - publicly, my apology. The point, I cannot blame anyone for my decision to follow an "obscure" collection. I am sorry for contributing clutter and dis-information on this site.

• Options

All you did IMO was point out some failings of the ANA that many besides you have. Write a "Viewpoint" column for one of the newspapers about your love of SC$ and why they are important to you. I'll guarantee it will get published!! Then link to it for non-subscribers here.

• Options

@Insider2 ,
    First I have to thank "The Numismatist" for offering articles from Jeff Shelvin, John Raymond and others; their insight is gratefully helpful as been the Archives. I'm hoping for a 3d Edition of "SCD's" and offer my NGC, HK-356A, MS-63BN Alaska-Yukon Pacific medal (my pic) and some yet-to-be graded AYPE medals pictures for the new edition. I collect few medals outside Part I of "SCD's" unless they are Northwestern. Minnesotan or a locale I visited (go figure?!??) origin.

I will act on your suggestion and arrange my 'concerns' into a believable manuscript. THANKS!

• Options
    THOMAS655THOMAS655 Posts: 65 ✭✭✭

As So-Called dollar collectors, we should also as a group be outraged with the way that the ANA unceremoniously fired Jeff Shevlin as Executive Director in 2013. I believe that all Jeff did wrong was to be concerned with collectors' best interests, which the old fogies withing the ANA did not agree with. Jeff tried to update the technology infrastructure to bring this organization into the 21st century to help engage younger people to become involved in collecting. I believe the main reason that Jeff was let go was that he was a collector, not a dealer. He was more concerned with the collectors, not the dealers, which probably upset the "Old Guard" at ANA.

• Options

@THOMAS655 said:
    As So-Called dollar collectors, we should also as a group be outraged with the way that the ANA unceremoniously fired Jeff Shevlin as Executive Director in 2013. I believe that all Jeff did wrong was to be concerned with collectors' best interests, which the old fogies withing the ANA did not agree with. Jeff tried to update the technology infrastructure to bring this organization into the 21st century to help engage younger people to become involved in collecting. I believe the main reason that Jeff was let go was that he was a collector, not a dealer. He was more concerned with the collectors, not the dealers, which probably upset the "Old Guard" at ANA.

Unless you were in on the meetings that brought about the decision, it is best to keep your opinions to yourself. If you spoke to Jeff, that's ONE SIDE of the story. The ANA has done some things behind closed doors that we'll never know. There are some posters on CU that could attest to this fact. :wink:

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

My head is spinning after reading this thread. The OP started by complaining that there were not enough articles on SCDs and the said they wanted to keep the niche under the radar so others wouldn't join in. :o

Anyway, I am certain that the ANA has probably gotten a little stale as have many long-standing organizations, especially those that crossed into the modern technology age. But, the solution is to get involved and contribute what you feel is missing.

I must admit that I have only been an ANA member on one or two occasions, to take advantage of a specific promotion (NGC membership to get a special coin graded, reduced admission to an ANA show). I should be more active, but until I am, I won't complain about them. o:)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1patwick said:
    @Insider2 ,
    First I have to thank "The Numismatist" for offering articles from Jeff Shelvin, John Raymond and others; their insight is gratefully helpful as been the Archives. I'm hoping for a 3d Edition of "SCD's" and offer my NGC, HK-356A, MS-63BN Alaska-Yukon Pacific medal (my pic) and some yet-to-be graded AYPE medals pictures for the new edition. I collect few medals outside Part I of "SCD's" unless they are Northwestern. Minnesotan or a locale I visited (go figure?!??) origin.

I will act on your suggestion and arrange my 'concerns' into a believable manuscript. THANKS!

In addition to "The Numismatist" it may be worthwhile to checkout the "So-Called Dollar Collectors’ Club Journal". Here's an issue.

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/wp-content/themes/scdollar/assets/pdf/55551_SoCalledBookletLOW.pdf

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread :D

I joined the ANA earlier this year after reading a thread on here by @Zoins regarding the ANA offering a small silver medal to new members and whether it would entice you to join.

Thus far I have enjoyed my membership. I have utilized the free NGC membership. I have participated in the ANA blogs ( which currently are not allowing comments anymore but supposedly will again next month). I have not yet used the library. I am almost 100% sure I will renew my membership next year.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

I joined the ANA earlier this year after reading a thread on here by @Zoins regarding the ANA offering a small silver medal to new members and whether it would entice you to join.

Thus far I have enjoyed my membership. I have utilized the free NGC membership. I have participated in the ANA blogs ( which currently are not allowing comments anymore but supposedly will again next month). I have not yet used the library. I am almost 100% sure I will renew my membership next year.

Hey, do they still offer that? My membership expired last year and I was holding out for a freebie. A few years ago they gave a silver eagle in a special slab (might have been for multi-year memberships).

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@thisistheshow said:

Hey, do they still offer that? My membership expired last year and I was holding out for a freebie. A few years ago they gave a silver eagle in a special slab (might have been for multi-year memberships).

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: When I saw the thread from @Zoins I also noticed they weren't advertising it. So I called and asked. They had a limited number still available. They gave me a code to use at signup. When I didn't receive it as expected, I followed up and was told they were just a bit behind. Took maybe 6 weeks. So I suggest calling.