Home Q & A Forum
Options

Preserving Coins In Bulk

I joined the forum a month or so ago because ago because I had a lot of questions. What I found is, most of my questions have already been asked. I have learned a lot.
My question is, how would you preserve 5000-6000 coins that you want to pass on to your grand-kids. They are memorial cents. I will mount the more valuable ones along with 10 complete sets. I will probably have 1000 coins just from the 80s that are MS-65 and above. (I am not going to mount them all)
Since this is my first post I will add, this is my hobby. My collection includes everything from Morgans to Ikes to Chuck-E-Cheese tokens. I buy, but I have never sold a coin.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen them stored in plastic coin tubes and then wrapped in aluminum foil. Do not seal the tubes with scotch tape.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 8:54PM

5000 to 6000 coins they are probably going to be mad at you when they have to figure out how to liquidate. But there should be 1 who will end up collecting coins. I should know that was my story when my dad passed. But it was my brother that shouldered selling all the coins. He was not to happy after he sold everything I ended buying probably more now than my dad had. All mine are in the plastic holders that they came in and I put them in the Green Monster Boxes for storage. Now I am looking for a bigger safe. :( You can buy the empty monster boxes and the empty plastic containers from most of the big retail boys. I got mine from APMEX just make sure your put in a decent coin order in so they don't ding you on shipping.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

The coins are going to lose luster due to moisture and carbon in the air. The tin foil wrap was used some years ago to prevent moisture but if even the slightest moisture got in what you wound up with was spotted coins. Anything stored in a vacuum will inhibit tarnish. A seal-a-meal with a platform level to the heat seal area will allow you to place the coins flat thus making sheets of coins that will stack/store in a convient place. There are black bags available to prevent sunlight from entering. This would allow you to break the volume into smaller quantities for distribution and would prevent the coins from sliding around and rubbing against each other.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I would would place the coins in a container which could be tightly sealed to help prevent moisture from entering. But keep in mind, small amounts of humidity can pass through plastic; thus, I would also include a silica gel desiccant. Additionally, I would store them in an area where the temperature and is relatively constant and humidity is low.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Insider2 he knows his stuff. I keep foil around my coins but wrapping my plastic tubes is something I never thought of.

Great question an Answers. Learn things every day here.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member