Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Slightly OT eBay Rant

jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2017 8:48PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ok so I thought many of you might have some insight on this topic since most likely the main avenue for obtaining cards is through eBay. So I’m sure this has been discussed a ton on here from time to time but here’s my recent experience regarding NEVER GETTING EBAY BUCKS PROMOTIONS....anymore.
I was purging old emails and was shocked at how many promotions I got (literally 1-2 a month) and I know many of you, like myself never get them anymore. While I know it’s a nice perk they provide, it’s kinda strange that I never get them, given the amount I used to get... so I called.
Basically the rep told me that those promotions are given at “random” and that there is nothing that can be done to ensure that I get them in the future (and yes, I am properly enrolled!). So, if I “randomly” got them all the time in the past and then all of a sudden “randomly” never get them (2+ years), does that make the the luckiest guy in the world, a black cat crosses my path and all of a sudden I am the unluckiest guy in the world. None of this makes sense to me....rant over.

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

It's not random. I used to get them 100% of the time, then for a few years, I'd get them off and on. Now, it's almost 100% again for the past few years. I have no idea why, but it certainly isn't a 50/50 chance every time.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it had to do with the amount of business you do. I seldom spend a large amount for a purchase and have never received any of their promotions.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must of spent 10-20 k so maybe it is

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that so many people get shut out on the eBay bucks promotions. I believe I've received every single one that was mentioned on the boards this year, and even some that weren't. Also, a few times when someone would alert the board to an 8 percent promotion on a $25+ purchase, my offer at that time would be 10 percent on a $50+ purchase. I also frequently receive the flash coupons of $15 off on a $75+ purchase that only last about 4-6 hours, and always seem to arrive in my inbox shortly after I've just bought something that would have qualified...of course.

I am always sure to activate the eBay bucks offer, but many times I've been unsuccessful in actually winning any items during time frame of the promotion. I am a frequent viewer of many items, saving many on my watch list. I am also sure to fire off a number of initial bids (I don't use snipe programs - I like to make my presence known with authority...), and even though I end up with a LOT of items on my "didn't win" list, that certainly drives the prices higher and generates activity on the items, which is the whole reason for the promotion from eBay's point of view. It may indeed be "random" who gets the offers, but I'd venture to guess that the randomness is influenced by your overall activity, not just your total dollars spent.