Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax pack for newbie suggestions?

Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2017 7:25PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hey guys I am relatively new to the hobby and I was wondering what's a good year for baseball to open some cheaper packs? I saw the Desert Shield packs and was considering purchasing some. Any other suggestions like from the 80s or 70s? I am open to Football and Basketball as well!

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 7:24PM

Do you mean Desert Shield? What is the source of the packs? I would think only BBCE Steve could be trusted identifying them. And even then it takes opening 2 random packs in a full box.

• Options

Yup desert shield, just changed it! Are they really that hard to find authentic ones??

• Options

Cards, no because of ebay or other auction sites. Packs, yes--very.

I wouldn't trust anyone but BBCE and I don't believe he has any, but I could be wrong.

Do you have a source for them that you believe you can trust?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

1983 topps baseball is a good year....boggs, gwynn, sandberg rookies plus cal ripken 2nd year card.

• Options

Is there a chance buying a box of 1983 wax packs would pan out in your favor $ wise? Or does the cost of the boxes now basically nullify any gains you may get.

• Options

only way to make some nice $$ on opening boxes is if you can pull a card that grades psa 10

psa 9 would work if you bought a pack and lucked out

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked 84 topps football. Smaller sets than baseball and a number of hof rookies

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

1982 or 1983 Topps Baseball...

Not exactly a wax pack, but 1986-1987 Donruss Rookies are cool too if you like the 1980’s. Lots of great cards with possible PSA 10’s if you decide to submit. Only thing is you know you’re getting a complete set as opposed to the randomness of wax.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spartcom5 said:
    Hey guys I am relatively new to the hobby and I was wondering what's a good year for baseball to open some cheaper packs? I saw the Desert Shield packs and was considering purchasing some. Any other suggestions like from the 80s or 70s? I am open to Football and Basketball as well!

I suspect when the OP refers to "cheaper packs", and then references Desert Shield in the very next sentence, he's likely seen some of the Desert Shield trading cards that had Colin Powell and Stormin' Norman and photos of the tanks and fighter jets, etc. He may think, assume, hope that those are the Desert Shield stamped baseball cards, but will be in for quite the disappointment when he opens them and sees a landscape of sand and not grass and dirt infields.

• Options

I'm definitely looking into 1980s packs on eBay right now. Anyway to tell for sure if they're legit? Did they fake these 80s packs?

• Options

if you want some legit packs...look for 1983 topps michigan wax packs.

no gum or wax stains either

• Options
    edited December 28, 2017 8:23PM

@Spartcom5 said:
    I'm definitely looking into 1980s packs on eBay right now. Anyway to tell for sure if they're legit? Did they fake these 80s packs?

If you don't know what you are doing, as another poster puts it, "ebay is a virtual landmine with buying wax packs". I would highly suggest to just buy direct from the only source trustworthy to go in blind and know the ungraded packs are legit, BBCE.

Enjoy the next few hours and find what packs peak your interest.

http://www.bbcexchange.com