Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Christmas Rack Packs

Are Vintage Christmas rack packs any good?

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

no. They are repackaged and mostly contain EX or worse cards fwiw.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

not legit Tops product...buy it as a novelty only

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

What senor Flatfoot said. I gotta admit though, there's one or two sellers out there that are actually selling them as novelty items (and pricing them as such) and I've actually thought about picking one up just for that purpose. Doubt I'd spend more than $30-40 on one though.

Arthur

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

There have been several threads on these. Everyone agrees they were not issued by Topps and that someone is still churning them out today. Unverified is if there were some packaged by a third party back in the 60s or 70s for sale at retail shops at Christmas, or whether all were packaged post mid 80s or 90s. That would matter only if you could tell the older from the newer and thought older ones, packaged before prices increased, might contain more star cards in middle row. Agree they are always in less than mint condition. I think they would be more interesting as a novelty item if it could be verified some were really packaged in the 60s, 70s or maybe early 80s, and there was some way to tell older ones from newer ones. Some claim you can tell by the packaging or the staples. Too complicated for me.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Are these still being produced? It's funny that all of a sudden there are a lot out there with stars showing, with an inflated price. Star cards are ex/mt at best. You used to never see stars showing in these. There are a lot of football and basketball that you never saw also.