Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wine or Wax ? Which one would you open ?

Both wine and wax are great collectibles. Both can bring great pleasure to the owner of some fine specimens. Would you be more tempted to open that $3,000 bottle of wine so you could enjoy a fine evening with a friend ? Or would you fancy opening that elusive wax box or pack by yourself and enjoy the thrill of seeing those pristine cards again ?

I wonder which collectible is getting opened more. Many people who are buying vintage wine are doing so to drink it. Most vintage wax buyers are keeping it closed.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I wouldn't know a good wine if it bit me in the ass?

I'm going with the wax.

Mike
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't drink, so I'm going with wax. Interesting question.

Shane

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about both at the same time. Sounds reasonable to me. Celebrate if you pull a great card on the rip or drink your sorrows away with a great bottle of wine.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd never open the 3k box/pack first. if i did, i'd yank pennies on the dollar (cuz that's how i roll when i rip), and the 3k bottle would be opened shortly thereafter.

• Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭

I’m sure if you asked this question on a wine message board the answered would be as skewed as they are here.

Oh, and if I had to choose I’d open the box/pack over the wine.

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the vintage wine was not stored correctly there is a good chance that it is not any good.
    James

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question is not which to open, but which to open FIRST!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Going to go with Wine on this one...............just love the taste....lol

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Wax. I don't drink.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the reports I have seen on fraudulent wine, I'd probably sell that and buy some authenticated wax and rip away.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

good point............

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

What kind of wine?

• Options

good point for sure..........depends on the wine

1964 Topps Football
  • Options

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    With the reports I have seen on fraudulent wine, I'd probably sell that and buy some authenticated wax and rip away.

It's funnier hearing the Wine drinkers talk of their 'vintage stuff' when bottles and labels (boxes and wrappers) are falsified even more than 'autographs'. The 150 year old 'vintage wine' recent blend of squashed grapes smashed by autograph and 70's unopened card collectors is as legit as 150 year old 'vintage wine' recent blend of squashed grapes smashed by autograph and 70's unopened card collectors can be. Yet, when the wine is tasted by the classy winos, they still taste the 'hint of gold, and wood, and. ... pissssss' in it! :)

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    The question is not which to open, but which to open FIRST!

Can we nominate this as "reply of the year" ?

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sell the wine and use the $$ to buy more cards. That is the only correct answer imo :)

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've enjoyed nice, not $3k nice, but none the less nice bottles of wine and unfortunately while I love wine I admit my pallet isn't up to the task of fully appreciateing it. I enjoy treating wine like some do their cards. I find a very nice bottle that presents (reviews) like a much more expensive bottle at a fraction of the cost. Now a wax box? That I can appreciate rip away!

Kevin

Kevin