Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this have a chance at Gem 10? 1996 Topps Kobe Rookie card

Pulled this out of my collection today and honestly I can't see anything wrong with it but then again I can barely see anything wrong with a NM 9. So how do you tell? If this does have a slight chance at a 10 I would like to submit it to PSA but I have no idea! Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Centering may keep it from a 10.
    James

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Centering would definitely keep it from grading a 10.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

While I agree with you gentlemen, I was taught in another thread that centering doesn’t matter, and that not all cards within a given grade are equal so sub away!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:
    While I agree with you gentlemen, I was taught in another thread that centering doesn’t matter, and that not all cards within a given grade are equal so sub away!

Dude, don't do that. You're better than that.

To the original poster: all I can tell you is from my experience, I can show you two examples of the same card that look identical in a scan. After going over them both with a 10x loupe, one has a ceiling of PSA 8 and one has a ceiling of PSA 10. My point is, even if the card was perfectly centered with razor sharp corners in the scan, there's still a whole catalog of things that could be wrong with it that we could never see. You've got to get yourself some magnification.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Dude, don't do that. You're better than that.

To the original poster: all I can tell you is from my experience, I can show you two examples of the same card that look identical in a scan. After going over them both with a 10x loupe, one has a ceiling of PSA 8 and one has a ceiling of PSA 10. My point is, even if the card was perfectly centered with razor sharp corners in the scan, there's still a whole catalog of things that could be wrong with it that we could never see. You've got to get yourself some magnification.

Arthur

Great idea! Ordered my 10x loupe on eBay for under $2.00.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to sub it, sub it. But if it was me, I would only throw it in on a bulk sub, even if i thought it would garner a 10. No way I would pay $18 to have it graded. Easier to just go to Ebay and buy a 10 that is already slabbed.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com