Home Q & A Forum

So Called Dollar HK-289--NCS suggestion....what would you have done?

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry..no pictures.

I sent several so-called dollars in to NGC at the Baltimore show, one of which was an HK-289 Pan Pac. Today I received a note from NGC advising me that the piece graded MS-65, but that NCS has suggested conservation. No reason for the recommendation was given. I've never heard of this before, so I called to inquire. I was told that I could take the piece as a 65 or I could have it conserved, pay 4% of the specified value, or $25 minimum, and receive no guarantee on the re-grade. When I asked what was wrong with it, the person on the phone told me that looked at it and could not see anything obvious, so it likely wasn't pvc or haze, but it was probably something minor and that is why they graded it anyway.

I chose to have it conserved. My reasoning was that I recalled the the piece when I purchased it as pristine and at least a 65. So, maybe it will upgrade. And even though it is an inexpensive item, and my 2 prior experiences with NCS were not fully satisfactory, I took a chance on it, These HK-289 Pan Pac pieces are not expensive and I am not even sure why I slabbed it, but I did. So, I guess I'll just have to see what happens. My guess it that most folks in my situation would not have conserved a slabbed MS-65 medal. Has anyone run into this before?

Tom

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, I should have had the coin slabbed as a 65 and looked at it when it came back. I would learn something. Then I would have sold it an bought a better one.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, insider. You are probably right...coulda learned something.

Tom

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just learned that my HK-289 graded MS-67 after conservation....so, even though I missed a learning opportunity, and I agree with Insider2, I'll make a few bucks anyway. Which is proof that it is better to be lucky than good.

Tom