Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who’s been in and out of the hobby?

I’ve been in and out of this hobby for 30 years. Currently back in. Tried to sell my collection on Craigslist last month and kept get low ball offers. Now 96 cards in mail to PSA.
Started grading cards in 1999. Had one of the first McGwire Modesto A’s PSA 10 which i promptly sold for $2500 and had the first or second 1988 Brett Hull PSA 10 which i sold for $385 ( in 2000)....
Anyhow glad to be here. Look forward to reading the posts and discussions.

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017 11:12AM

Started in the hobby in the late 80’s as a young kid and collected until the late 90’s as a teenager and then like others, life took over. Came back in in 2008 and have been collecting ever since except for a long break between the fall of 2015 and spring of 2016. A job transfer and having to move caused the long break. As a kid, put together raw binder sets from 1974 Topps Baseball all the way to 1986. Sold all that as a teenager to buy my first “nice” vehicle. Since being back in, I mostly collect 1980’s PSA 10 sets through self submitting and purchasing centered examples on eBay. My best project so far is a 1980 Topps PSA 10 set currently at 91% complete unregistered at the moment.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

I know what you mean, started back in the mid 80's then stopped, then started back and fourth, back and fourth lol. Welcome to the boards.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive been in and out of collecting since 1986 then stopped for a while before starting up again around the mid/late 90's early 2000's

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was out of it for 10 years between 1995-2004.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started in the late 70's as a kid getting 77 and 78 rack packs at the local convenience store. Got my parents into it in the early 80's then my father incorporated cards into his coin shop. Kinda took all the fun out of it for me and had better things to do as a teen. Bought stuff here and there until getting back in around 1998. Built a complete 1970-71 Topps basketball set, all PSA 8 or better over a few years. Retired it and pieced it off 7-8 years ago, maybe. Just getting back in and going thru cards I have had in boxes for years. Kinda missed it and while things have changed, not much has changed.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Started in the late 70's as a kid getting 77 and 78 rack packs at the local convenience store. Got my parents into it in the early 80's then my father incorporated cards into his coin shop. Kinda took all the fun out of it for me and had better things to do as a teen. Bought stuff here and there until getting back in around 1998. Built a complete 1970-71 Topps basketball set, all PSA 8 or better over a few years. Retired it and pieced it off 7-8 years ago, maybe. Just getting back in and going thru cards I have had in boxes for years. Kinda missed it and while things have changed, not much has changed.

Agree...just getting back into and realized i kinda missed it too....

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PmanFL I hear ya on that. I was out of the hobby since 2005 and after this past SB decided to sell some of my high grade Tom Brady rookies after seeing the prices they were selling on ebay. Sold about 10-12 Brady's with no plan of getting back into the hobby then found myself picking up a few cards i always wanted in my collecting days. 10 months later i can admit the Collecting bug hit me hard lol. Thanks for sharing your story and definitely your sub results.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Was out of it for 10 years between 1995-2004.

Yet, I jointed ebay in 1997. Would have been nice if I knew to take advantage of late '90's ebay card purchasing! Had interest, but didn't have anywhere to store the cards during those years.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the hobby.

What's your first name?

I've been back in the hobby since 1990 without a break. Semi active '85-89.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Welcome back to the hobby.

What's your first name?

I've been back in the hobby since 1990 without a break. Semi active '85-89.

Patrick

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

IN: June 1983 - Feb 2001. Out 2001 - June 2008. In with absolutely no direction and focus July 2008 - May 2010. Out June 2010 - Feb 2011. Back in with no direction or focus part duh! March 2011 - August 2011. Out Sept 2011 - Feb 2012. In one last time March 2012 - present. This time with focus, direction and goals. :D

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2017 3:44PM

@PmanFL said:
    I’ve been in and out of this hobby for 30 years. Currently back in. Tried to sell my collection on Craigslist last month and kept get low ball offers. Now 96 cards in mail to PSA.
    Started grading cards in 1999. Had one of the first McGwire Modesto A’s PSA 10 which i promptly sold for $2500 and had the first or second 1988 Brett Hull PSA 10 which i sold for $385 ( in 2000)....
    Anyhow glad to be here. Look forward to reading the posts and discussions.

Welcome back to the hobby and good luck with your sub!

I first collected between 1978 and 1981. In 1982 at the age of 13, I became very interested in fly fishing and turned my sights in that direction (I kept just about all of those cards and still have them today). Fast forward to 1993 - I finished graduate school that summer and moved back to my home town. My 14-year-old brother was big into collecting basketball cards at that time, which rekindled my dormant collecting bug. So, I started collecting with him, mostly modern basketball. Thankfully, I didn't have much money then, and therefore, only blew about $600 over 2 years. In 1995, I became overwhelmed with all the different sets, and walked away from the hobby. Incidentally, I threw out all those basketball cards but for the Jordans about 10 years ago. In 2006, I got the urge to finish the 1978-1981 baseball and football sets I had started back in the day, and accomplished that goal by around 2007 or so with my "late to the party" discovery of eBay. I then put together baseball card sets from 1973-1977, and bought complete sets of 1980's baseball and football. Between 2010 and 2014, I put together a 1975 Mini PSA registry set. Needless to say, I have been largely a set collector my whole collecting life.

Since 2014, I've been flailing a bit trying to figure out what I really want to do. I've started a few sets, including a 1957 Topps baseball set, which was always a dream of mine to do. I'm about 35 percent of the way through and have purchased all cards greater than about $40 (i.e., I have just about all of the HOFers, including the Mantle and both Robinsons). I have a passion for this set that goes back to around 1979 or so, when a cousin of mine gave me about 50 1957 commons. I'm also halfheartedly building a 1971 Topps baseball set, and am about 80 percent complete on that one. I'm not sure I'll complete it, but we'll see.

What I've come to realize, though, is that with the exception of the 1957 baseball set and a few HOFer cards from 1969, 1970, and 1972 that are still on my list, I really don't have much interest in anything else pre-1969. The thought of building any other sets but the 1957 baseball set actually comes across as too tedious and uninteresting to me, perhaps because of the short print commons and not having seen all or most of those guys play (or I'm just burned out, not sure). Over the last year or so, I also picked up "The Complete Picture Collection - A 40-Year History of topps Baseball Cards" that I look at often, which I think in part, as killed my urge to build more sets.

What I'm finding I really like are select modern Cubs and Nationals players and some of the stars of today. So, I think in 2018, but for the 1957 set and maybe the 1971 set, I'll be drastically cutting back my purchases and just picking up Topps base and Heritage Cubs and Nationals team sets plus Trout and Judge. I'll also be enjoying what I have already and selling a bunch of other cards I've picked up in the last 2-3 years trying to find my hobby self again. In fact, the selling already started a couple of months ago. I have too many sets sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I plan on going through these and selling any that don't excite me anymore and moving that money elsewhere.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all,

Nick

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

I first collected from '72-'75. Went to the first shows, traded thru SCD and The Trader Speaks, and bought thru mail auctions. My two friends and I ran an add for someone to send us a T206 and we'd send back 50 commons of that years set, typically '73 or '74. Figured we'd get a few suckers, but our mailbox exploded and we had to start combing the neighborhood for cards to send to people. By the time we exhausted a few ads we each had a couple of hundred T206's and about 50 T205's each. Next we started lowballing auctions, and every once in a while we'd score a deal- I got a '55 Topps set, my friend Jason a '52 Bowman set, etc.
    But girls and cameras and surfboards and skateboards and cars soon took over, and I sold a chunk of the collection via mail auction, and then set up at the 1st National to blow out the rest.
    20 years later I decided to check out ebay and put together a few sets I missed - '70 and '71 Topps. Then a few more. Then a few more. Then a few more. Next thing you know it's cards from 1887 to 2017. It's a whole lot easier collecting in the internet era, cards I'd never even seen at big shows you can now see 6 examples on ebay.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next thing you know it's cards from 1887 to 2017. It's a whole lot easier collecting in the internet era, cards I'd never even seen at big shows you can now see 6 examples on ebay.

Hiya Anthony

Merry Christmas buddy!

I agree on eBay - it really jumpstarted some of my favorite niche areas like board games which are rarely seen in good/complete condition at shows - even the National.

We know each other pushing on almost 1.5 decades and what you've collected in that time is noteworthy and quite astronomical. Thanx for sharing it.

Mike
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, new member here. Started collecting in the late 80s early 90s as a kid. Stopped around 95, picked it back up in 2004, sold my collection off between 2008/09, now back in since 2015. No real direction or focus at all on the collection, more just buying rookies/inserts of guys I grew up watching, and just started on vintage baseball.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? welcome :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I've never left the hobby. I got in in 1988 at age 4 and I've been in it ever since. I'm celebrating 30 years this year.

However, I quit collecting the NBA in late 2006. Now I consider it one of if not the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life. I went back to the NBA full time in 2012 and I think I appreciate it more now than I did the first time around. I know I'm a better collector now than I was the first time. I will hit 90,000 different NBA cards in 2018. Less than a thousand away already!

I also do NASCAR and some non-sports. In 2017 I officially began collecting the NHL, which has gotten most of my focus lately.

My main project, which evolved over the past three years, is to get at least one card of every person who has gotten one in my sports. It doesn't matter what kind of card, as long as it is professional and not shared with anyone else. For the NBA I am at 2800+ people, with around 325 to go not counting this year's rookies, which I have started adding. For NASCAR I only need 23 different people and half if them got their first cards in 2017. I just started the NHL this past spring, after some hesitation if I wanted to tackle such a daunting project, but I decided to go for it...I hit 2500 different people on Christmas day. Already!

Previously my main goal was set building, but it's become nearly impossible these days. I will still complete sets when I can...I usually complete Hoops every year, at least, my favorite NBA set of each season. But going for the different people, which I call the Names Project, has been very rewarding and let's me feel more like an actual historian than just a simple collector. Being able to remove a missing name from my need list on my website is a great feeling.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    Hey guys, new member here. Started collecting in the late 80s early 90s as a kid. Stopped around 95, picked it back up in 2004, sold my collection off between 2008/09, now back in since 2015. No real direction or focus at all on the collection, more just buying rookies/inserts of guys I grew up watching, and just started on vintage baseball.

welcome aboard. this is a great forum. you find many great people and resources here. Happy new year

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

I'm been out since 2010, but I did buy a few cheap Steve Grogan cards this year.