Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Topps Blackless

totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2017 10:47PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Can anyone tell me more about these cards? My friend subbed an 82 Jim Gantner (#613) and apparently it’s a blackless card. Pop reports are very low, only 2 others had been subbed. His came back a 9, the only 9 that’s been graded. (Though apparently it was mislabeled and PSA is in the process of fixing it, therefore its not in the pop report yet).

Please let me know if anyone knows about these variants. I don’t think he even knew blackless versions existed, he was just subbing cards of his favorite player.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether through faulty pre-production
    work or the simple
    fact that the black ink
    may have run dry during printing,
    exactly half of the 1982
    Topps cards can be found in a
    “blackless” version. All cards
    on the set’s A, B and C press
    sheets can be found blackless.
    On regular player’s cards the
    lack of black printing is most
    obvious in the absence of the
    facsimile autograph on front.
    The thin black pinstripe around
    the player photo is also missing
    on those cards. On cards in
    which the position was supposed
    to be printed in black, it
    will be missing on these variations.
    All-Star cards affected by
    this error will be missing the
    player’s name. It is estimated
    fewer than 100 of each “blackless”
    card were released. Originally
    cards from the A and B
    sheets were found in metro
    New York, while the C cards
    turned up most often in the
    Midwest. Cards from the C
    sheet are much scarcer than
    those from the A and B sheets,
    although limited collector demand
    for full sets has kept prices
    in relative parity.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

The cards definitely made it into packs. Michigan seems to have been the midwest area referred to above. Jack Morris was the toughest card for me to obtain.

I'm curious how the OP's friend figured out it was blackless if he didn't know when he submitted it and PSA mislabeled it (unless they labeled it 1982 TOPPS MIKE LUM BLACKLESS or something like that). Not doubting (who'd make something like that up?), just curious.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017 9:25AM

I put together my Blackless set in about the same time frame as Bob. Agree with Bob that Morris was toughest for me in completing the set because it is particularly hard to find in all Blackless. A long time Blackless collector/seller has one up on eBay now for $1600.

All 396 cards can be found in what one seller calls Blacklessing as well....transition cards with some grey or black showing. Not sure if graders are aware of or look for such differences.

I got most of my C sheet cards from sellers in Michigan and the As and Bs from sellers in NY. As Bob noted they did show up in packs, at least in those two locations. If you want a longish read on them look for Blackless cards for sale on eBay by the seller crstalentia and his description of them. I think he takes the view that a master set involves 404 or 405 cards because there are other front and back variants among some of the Blackless cards.

The Henderson and Ryan are pricey as well due to demand by player collectors.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017 8:45AM

Examples of Blackless cards....also Blacklessing transition cards ( the black ink ran out)....and some Blueless :)

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

I'm curious how the OP's friend figured out it was blackless if he didn't know when he submitted it and PSA mislabeled it (unless they labeled it 1982 TOPPS MIKE LUM BLACKLESS or something like that). Not doubting (who'd make something like that up?), just curious.

He was part of a group sub, and the guy putting it together noticed it when he sent it in and informed my friend what he had, I guess. Pretty big stroke of luck considering Gantner is a fan favorite in Milwaukee, but even so it's a very low percentage of collectors here that would even consider getting his cards graded. Unless of course for a team set/complete set, or possibly his rookie card.

• Options

Great info provided on a tough issue.