Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1965 Canada Mint (Business strikes) or Proof-Like Set?

The 1965 Canada Mint sets that come in the brown envelopes with a certificate that simply refers to them as uncirculated coins, are they all considered Proof-Like strikes?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be wrong but I think the PL came in a better/real case. The Canadian uncs are outstanding, though.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

They were issued as specially prepared uncirculated coin sets that due to their superior quality compared to regular business strikes were given the nick name of "proof like" by Jim Charlton back in the late 50s early 60s. The name stuck.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

You should be able to buy these as bullion, with the cent and nickel at no extra charge.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 10c looks quite cameo.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    You should be able to buy these as bullion, with the cent and nickel at no extra charge.

Yep, these always seem available in quantity in my LCS. Almost always the higher mintage 1964-1967 sets. I have bought some of the 1967 sets with the goose dollar and other animals. Although these are just 80%, I love these at or around bullion, especially the 36 mm silver dollars.