Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hoping to learn something - Polish 1/2 Groschen

I like the design of this coin, the color, and that it is almost 500 years old!

This one is NGC AU58, but I know there are many mint state coins out there as well.

Why are these coins so cheap? Are they too small for collector interest, is there a lack of interest in Polish/Lithuanian coins, have these been found in hoards?

If there are other examples out there, please feel free to post. Thanks!

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 11:31AM

That's a good question. IMO, it has to due with collector interest and the number around. I've seen dealers buy plastic bags of similar coins in high grade from many different time periods. One thing to remember is tastes can often change and prices for coins as nice as this will increase. When? Who knows. In my experience, I have seen this happen many times over. For example, when I was young, CWT were thrown in a dish for less than a dollar. The first coin shop I ever walked past as a kid was run by Ben Douglas in DC. As I remember, he had a dish of them in his window. Be thankful coins you collect are cheap. Many of us have been priced out of what we like! :(

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

That is a very attractive coin.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and image. European minors for whatever reason just do not capture the interest from collectors that Crowns do

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 10:56PM

Thanks for the responses. I guess more for me then. I think Mark Feld used to write (I'm paraphrasing here): Collect what you like, but just don't expect everyone else to like what you collect (especially when you go to sell).

These 3 Kreuzers seem to fall in to the same category. NGC 64.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭