Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada 50 Cent 1881 need help with Grading???

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am tempted to make an ofer on this coin. It is advertised by a (reputable) dealer as being XF (no hint on who's XF)
However, there is this fairly substantial voice in the back of my head warning me to have a closer look and be careful.
Here are my concerns:
A will this coin make straight XF with our host or NGC?
B will it be possibly body bagged because of having been cleaned or otherwise surface treated?

this is the original image posted on the web site

and this is after the haze on the image was removed (which European dealers love to retain to hide problems)

Thank you for all your input
it is much appreciated.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it should at least 40 to me. Looks as good as the 90-H I used to own that was graded 45 by PCGS! Of course all the lowball Canadian dealers wanted to by it as a VF!

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Wearwise, it's an XF, but it has been cleaned, so who knows what PCGS would say. The black spot at 4:30 I'm very curious about. How did you remove the washed out appearance of the first fotos, so as to show the bottom set with, evidently, some luster. Without seeing it in hand or closer photography, I couldn't be sure about the possibility of it being faked, but would be an odd choice for a fake.

How much does he want for it? It Trends (in Cdn $$) for $900, which is about $700 US. With recent Trends, you should be able to buy it for well less than $500 US for a problem-free coin .. the cleaning would lower it. That date is not scarce.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shot at an AU-50 by US TPGS. But the haze back on it! That will eliminate the "halo" that is very detracting.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm just tough on these, but I see that as high VF (30-35)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are not tough. It all depends on where you live, how old you are, and what you know (experience). A group of dealers all over the world should grade this coin from VF to AU! IMO, most opinions would probably fall into the
    VF-35 to XF-40 range. :wink:

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 7:18PM

I doubt that this will get a straight grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for your very interesting input.
    Syl and others,
    I am fairly sure that it is not a forgery. That is not an issue.
    asking price is about CAN $ 420 + shipping.
    How to remove the silky mist you wish to know. I use ACDSee SW. there is a setting which is called "Auto levels"
    It tries to reverse and neutalize all "playing with settings" like contrast, exposure etc, to an original when ever possible.
    and when this data is not permanently set or blocked. It tries to show the original object with all its faults. European dealers hate that as it covers a lot of problems.
    the original haze is caused purposely, by using auto settings with certain lens, light and camera adjustments. It will adjust WB and other settings back to original value, right or wrong.
    I am aware of trends pricing. but also aware of the rather unrealistic prices at times.
    I do have a MS ICCS , but there is no comparism.
    The cleaning, without daubt at some time and the resulting funny tones bother me.
    Grades I was thinking of???
    I agree with most of you: below 40
    so, for me it will be a NO GO... too expensive for what it is.

thank you all for the exercise. it was a pleasure to read your opinions.
    if posts like this are welcome, I might have a few others to show.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

She has had a wipe and color looks too uniform for me, possible re-toned. But based on Vicky quarters that I've seen, it will probably holder 45-50, unless they see hairlines. I would save the cash for an example which is obviously original.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

A final thought on this... Victorian Halves with nice original surfaces ranging in grades from 35 to 58 seem few and far between. I rarely encounter them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.