Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Little Bits of History Down Under

Came across an eBay auction with two items meeting my catagories.
This first one is a prize medal for a Lady's Saddle, awarded to James McEwan & Co., back in November 1874.

The second medal, struck by the Wyon firm no less, was awarded to philanthropist John Howard Angas, in September 1888. It references "FAT COW." I am thinking that was an animal entered in some sort of a show..

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agricultural Society Medals like these are very popular amongst the coin club membership here in Australia. I have a copy of the catalogue issued last year by the Australian Numismatic Society on the subject.

The RAHSSA was founded in 1844 (which isn't bad, given that the colony itself wasn't founded until 1836). These Wyon medals were issued from 1870 to at least 1909, when the medal dies were sent to Australia; the dies were eventually donated to a museum in 1933.

The NASV was founded in Melbourne in 1870 and lasted until the name changed in 1890 to "Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria". These medals were issued at every annual show between those two dates. It was a large show with many prizes awarded but the medals are not as common as one might expect, since this society (unusually) in some years requested that winners pay part of the cost of their medals, otherwise they'd just be given a certificate.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3