Home Q & A Forum
Options

Fantastic used on copper ???

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody heard of using Fantastic cleaner to remove environmental 'damage' on copper coins ?
I heard it from a dealer but then again.I hear a lot of things that I do not believe on a daily basis :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017 5:13PM

Don't believe anything - try it for yourself on an old wheat cent. There are many products used that most never heard of and Fantastic is one of them. I'm going to try it. LOL.

BTW, NOTHING restores a copper coin with actual environmental damage (corroded).

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

The most you can do for environmental damage on copper coins is stop it from getting worse. You can try Verdi-Care:
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/verdi-care.html

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

The verdigree on a copper coin is the surface copper changing its chemical properties as it ages removing that will leave pits and voids in the surface that is IMO undesirable. Years ago, we would coat the coin in olive oil and just let it perk checking every few weeks to make sure the oil didn't go rancid. Sometimes we would let them hang for over a year then gently wash the coin in dawn to remove the oil. This is N O T recommended on anything of value. If the copper is worth more than $200.00 send it in to preservation services and let the experts do their thing. If you have a valuable coin and you try to get it to a shiny state, I guarantee you the grading services will without question be able to spot it and return the coin in a body bag or grade it "Details". My best advice is "If you Don't like the eye appeal or look of a coin, bite the bullet and sell it and buy a better grade with better eye appeal. I could send you several dozen that have been dipped in vinegar and salt, had electrolysis performed, brushed, scrubbed, baked in a potato, poured denatured alcohol on and set afire, and numerous other attempts to restore luster. All massive failures. The only coins that have successfully been restored had been sent to a TPG service. Just my opinoin.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

Actually, there are many dealers and collectors who do a wonderful job conserving coins. Keeping an ear to the ground, reading, and experimentation is the way most of them probably learned. Occasionally, these self-made numismatists teach the "experts" a thing or two. If you wish to learn faster, it does not come cheap.

BTW, I guarantee the grading services don't detect squat if it is done "right." B)

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Ok great Obiwan the last statement in your post has me intrigued. Enlighten me on how to get the black crud off a copper coin without leaving traces that a Tpg can detect. This is not said as a challenge or sarcasm, i would love to know how I can best save some of my coppers that have not aged well and are not valuable enough to get graded.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

@bobsr said: "Ok great Obiwan the last statement in your post has me intrigued. Enlighten me on how to get the black crud off a copper coin without leaving traces that a Tpg can detect. This is not said as a challenge or sarcasm, i would love to know how I can best save some of my coppers that have not aged well and are not valuable enough to get graded.""

Sure struck me that way >:) - immediately. So NO THANKS, Mr. Fieldtechs. Perhaps if you PM me with a BIG change of attitude...

For others in this thread, there is enough info posted all over the internet about the chemicals and methods. Even some suggestions posted by me (a novice student of the "black arts") to correct misinformation. You can also find a mentor or take a conservation class or two.

And this: IMHO, some posters have full stomachs of Koolaid. Just about every coin sent to a TPGS would flunk any type of "strict test of originality." Good Night <3