Home Sports Talk
Options

Oscar Robertson.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been a Big O fan, watched him on TV in the mid-late 60's after he was already with Milwaukee. He was just a fabulous player who could shoot, pass, rebound and play defense as good as anyone.

Last night I was watching the Cavs/Lakers game and Lebron James was on his way to another triple-double. They flashed the all-time NBA leaders in that category --- Oscar Robertson is the leader and it isn't even really close. I think Magic Johnson is number two about 50 back and Russell Westbrook leads active players: he hasn't even reached 100!!! For some reason I don't recall the Big O as a great rebounder but then I'm surprised how many Steph Curry gets, also. Guys who are seen as perimeter shooters don't usually hang around under the basket.

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me and I did a search of Oscar Robertson and he has to be, without a doubt, one of the best players to ever play. The things he did starting in High School and all through College and the pros can be summed up in one word --- WINNER. He won and made everyone around him better. Much of that took place before I was even born or understood how basketball was played.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Big-O was a true "baller" back in the day.

It would be really enjoyable to see the best players from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's in their prime, play against the best players of more recent vintage, including those of today.

While today's players are probably taller, faster, quicker and more capable of playing anywhere on the floor, the best players from decades ago would not simply toss in the towel. They would compete.

For example, it would be a treat to watch Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Kareem, Moses Malone, Olajawon and Shaq at 21 or 22 years of age run the floor today. These great centers would keep up with and maybe even exceed the floor speed of today's centers. They would also be able to play effective inside games and probably develop into great perimeter players.

I remember seeing a 19 year old Moses Malone play an ABA game in Denver during Christmas break in 1974. He played for the Utah Stars, going pro right out of high school. His coach did not put him in the game until the last couple of minutes of the first half. He played the remainder of the first half and most of the second half. So in all he played about half of the game.

His stat line for the night included 35 points and 23 rebounds.

He was 6"10 or 6"11, skinny, fast and unbelievably talented. He did whatever he wanted on the floor. He scored, passed, rebounded, dribble the ball the length of the floor like a point guard, dunked, drove to the hoop, shot from the perimeter, blocked shots, made steals, defended and looked like he was far and away the best player on the floor (including being better than Denver's David Thompson, aka Luke Skywalker).

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Big O could play in any era and be great

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2017 11:49PM

@SanctionII said:

It would be really enjoyable to see the best players from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's in their prime, play against the best players of more recent vintage, including those of today.

While today's players are probably taller, faster, quicker and more capable of playing anywhere on the floor, the best players from decades ago would not simply toss in the towel. They would compete.

For example, it would be a treat to watch Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Kareem, Moses Malone, Olajawon and Shaq at 21 or 22 years of age run the floor today. These great centers would keep up with and maybe even exceed the floor speed of today's centers. They would also be able to play effective inside games and probably develop into great perimeter players.

I remember seeing a 19 year old Moses Malone play an ABA game in Denver during Christmas break in 1974. He played for the Utah Stars, going pro right out of high school. His coach did not put him in the game until the last couple of minutes of the first half. He played the remainder of the first half and most of the second half. So in all he played about half of the game.

He was 6"10 or 6"11, skinny, fast and unbelievably talented. He did whatever he wanted on the floor. He scored, passed, rebounded, dribble the ball the length of the floor like a point guard, dunked, drove to the hoop, shot from the perimeter, blocked shots, made steals, defended and looked like he was far and away the best player on the floor (including being better than Denver's David Thompson, aka Luke Skywalker).

Correct me If I'm wrong but I believe David Thompson was only 6' 4" and his nick name was just "Skywalker". But for sure he was dubbed that after Star Wars came out

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

yeah, Oscar Robertson was one of many players in all sports who transcend time. they weren't just great players in their era, they could just play..........................whenever and wherever. I wish there was more film available of the 50's and 60's.

a little known piece of trivia I learned a few weeks ago --- Chuck Connors, better know as The Rifleman, was a member of the Rochester Royals when they won the NBA title in 1946. where's the game film of that??

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere he was the first to shatter a backboard, and he played a bit of baseball. Not sure how much is true.
    I remember watchin a lot of Celtics-Lakers when I was a kid. Those were the days.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@SanctionII said:

Correct me If I'm wrong but I believe David Thompson was only 6' 4" and his nick name was just "Skywalker". But for sure he was dubbed that after Star Wars came out

m

Yes Mark he was 6'4" and had a huge vertical leap of (I believe 48"). He once got hurt pretty bad getting his foot caught in a players arm pit!

• Options

@Brick said:
    I read somewhere he was the first to shatter a backboard, and he played a bit of baseball. Not sure how much is true.
    I remember watchin a lot of Celtics-Lakers when I was a kid. Those were the days.

I think Darrell Dawkins was the first to shatter a backboard......I could be wrong.

• Options

The Big "O" was a GREAT played. Just how many triple doubles did he have?

• Options

Dimeman..........................................Oscar Robertson had 181 triple doubles and Chuck Connors shattered a backboard before Dawkins was even born.

• Options

@keets said:
    Dimeman..........................................Oscar Robertson had 181 triple doubles and Chuck Connors shattered a backboard before Dawkins was even born.

I didn't know they had glass backboards when Connors played.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they did either. That was just one tough dude. ;)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 16, 2017 9:46PM

Not giving Connors credit yet

That must have been some brick. Sorry Brick. No offense.

Throughout the history of basketball there have always been athletes with the size and strength to slam dunk the ball through the rim. However, the first NBA player to shatter a backboard, Chuck Connors (who would become far more famous as an actor), did not do so with a dunk. When playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946, Connors took a set shot during pregame warmups, hitting the front of the rim. Because an arena worker had failed to place a protective piece between the rim and backboard, the backboard shattered.

m

• Options

you guys will argue any point about anything. I give up already.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Not giving Connors credit yet

That must have been some brick. Sorry Brick. No offense.

Throughout the history of basketball there have always been athletes with the size and strength to slam dunk the ball through the rim. However, the first NBA player to shatter a backboard, Chuck Connors (who would become far more famous as an actor), did not do so with a dunk. When playing for the Boston Celtics in 1946, Connors took a set shot during pregame warmups, hitting the front of the rim. Because an arena worker had failed to place a protective piece between the rim and backboard, the backboard shattered.

m

I have never heard of such a "piece" between the rim and backboard. I'm not arguing the point....just didn't know about it.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2017 9:47PM

DM -Here is the before

• Options
    edited December 17, 2017 9:48PM

Here is the "piece"

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Nice to hear appreciation about Oscar. Watched Kareem and the Big O at the Arena in the '71 finals. The Bullets had just won over the Knicks in 7 in the semis, and the sports pages covered it like that was the finals. Bucks won in 4, and it wasn't close. The year before Kareem turned a last place team into one with the second best record in the league in his first season. They added Oscar and that put them over the top the next season. Oscar's only title. Lucky to catch the 2 home games against the Bullets. You could get tickets the day of the game. Never thought that would be Milwaukee's only championship.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷