Home Q & A Forum
Options

What does this mean ?

BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

What does this designation mean ?

Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• Options

https://www.pcgs.com/grades#modal

According to PCGS, this is a type of damage. Ten categories are described. # 10 is:

"Smoothed (A coin whose surface has been disturbed in order to give it the appearance of a higher grade. This often involves the use of a rotating wire brush to remove scratches or marks and simulate luster. This treatment is commonly referred to as "whizzing.")"

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017 9:50PM

IMO PCGS needs to do some rethinking on "smoothing." IMHO, based on my personal experience, part of the statement below is NONSENSE!

I'm a nobody around here who has been a collector before many at PCGS were even born. When I began my professional career, whizzing was a problem. The authenticators at ANACS actually came up with the original definition of whizzing. They enumerated the characteristics that separated whizzing from all other mechanical surface alterations. "SMOOTHING" was not even a term applied to anything having to do with numismatics. Back then, children "smoothed" their ice cream into funny shapes with a spoon!!! "Smoothing," as a term was used by collectors of ancient coins as a nice way of telling folks that the corroded or damaged surface of their coin was TOOLED to make it smooth and more attractive. I'm an advanced student of grading and I never even heard of the term until a few years ago! Apparently, it was "coined" by an auction house or a savvy ancient coin dealer. Now apparently it has creeped into the language for U.S. coins just as "cabinet friction" or" Uncirculated with rub" did decades ago.

If a TPGS wants to use the term "smoothed" incorrectly on non-ancient coins rather than use the correct terminology - either whizzed or tooled - that applies, no one can stop them but IMO, it's unfortunate. This is similar to the practice now when all the TPGS's call a coin that is harshly polished enough to lose a grade point "CLEANED!" All it does is gloss over the obvious condition. It confuses the uneducated collector and infuriates the advance numismatists who try to educate others.

@glennm posted: "According to PCGS, this is a type of damage. Ten categories are described. # 10 is:

"Smoothed (A coin whose surface has been disturbed in order to give it the appearance of a higher grade. This often involves the use of a rotating wire brush to remove scratches or marks and simulate luster. This treatment is commonly referred to as "whizzing.")"

I suggest PCGS make this change to be totally correct: "Smoothed" - A coin whose surface has been disturbed in order to give it the appearance of a higher grade.

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Thank you, I'm familiar with " whizzing " but that " smoothing" really confused me.
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017 12:07PM

Update: I found the word "smoothed" used in an undated auction catalogued by a noted author and professional numismatic authority on copper. He described a half cent with repairs (tooling) made to the cheek and field as "smoothed."

Color me ignorant :( for not knowing when the copper collectors adopted this "weasel" terminology.