Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 1868 Ho/0 Price Question

Hi,

I have an 1868 8 Reales piece, Ho/0, Hermosillo mint, Assayer P.R. that is described as by Civitas Galleries when it was sold:

"Fine condition, Scarce with desirable superscript horizontal O over normal O in mint mark. Several chopmarks and a light cleaning."

The chopmarks as small and the cleaning is not severe at all, indeed I would think the coin would slab. Any thoughts on the value of this coin? I am trying to get an inventory done and decide what to keep and what to let go (in order to buy new p's!).

Thanks...

K

ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:

The chopmarks as small and the cleaning is not severe at all, indeed I would think the coin would slab.

Even if it slabs, it's still a "Fine Details" coin. And 1868 while scarce, still the most common date of Hermosillo in UNC condition.

Personally I would keep it raw. In terms of the price, knowing Josh (Civitas) - you paid close to the market value for the coin at the time.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks..I have had it for quite a while, the cost from Civitas was 45.00, not sure if that was still accurate or not. Here are some photos:

ANA LM
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know anyone collecting 8R by date/assayer/mintmark now, let alone variety. So there’s probably not much demand for the coin in that grade.

My suggestion would be to sell it and focus on higher-graded coins.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that coin. It's not a big deal, but Hermosillo mint mark sells it.