Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Will someone translate the characters on this coin please?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2017 10:27AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[1/6/0/2/8/16028592],sizedata[612x600]&call=url[file:product.chain]

It is a Kirin 1905 Dollar

Top 4: Made during blank blank blank

Left: Snake Right: Wood = 1905

Bottom 6: Blank #2 Blank #7 Ku Ping (silver).

Large Characters within the beaded center:

12OC = Kuang
3OC = ?
6OC = Hsu
9Oc = ?

Thanks

I'll have more

Comments

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 9:15PM

As per my Chinese interpreter:

Top: Jilin Province mint.
    Center: Guangxu Emperor Coin. Yishi Year
    Bottom: Seven cents two points

• Options

Yishi year is the 31st year 1905.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

@coffeyce said:
    Yishi year is the 31st year 1905.

Thanks! I hate to be a butt head and I know that a single Chinese character can be two words but I need more help.

Note how I posted the meaning of each character. So there are 4 characters at the top. Am I correct that the four are read in this fashion:

Symbol 1. Made (during)
    Symbol 2. Jilin
    Symbol 3. Province
    Symbol 4. Mint

or do the second to forth = Jilin Province Mint? I have seen these same three characters in the same position on a Kirin 20c coin.

Next: So the first character on the bottom = "points"; and the third character = "cents."

Thanks, It is starting to make sense

• Options
    edited December 8, 2017 3:07PM

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2015/7/29/f/0/c/f0ce06c0-358f-11e5-8dd6-96a55784b230.jpg

Now this is the same, a dollar from Kirin. The difference in characters is the last two at the top.

Character 1. Made (during)
    Character 2. Jilin ??
    Character 3. ?
    Character 4. ?

I'm going to guess there is no specific date on this one.

• Options

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/-8658286206711028260/-1529636145258969803.jpg

One more please:

Top line: character #3 =
    character #4 =

Bottom line (right to left): silver one cent 4 points 4... What is the final character. I'm still curious about the forth from the right being "cents."

Also is the date on this coin? The center within the beads is the same as above.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it says DISAGREE :#

• Options
    edited December 8, 2017 12:41PM

@bronco2078 said: "I think it says DISAGREE :#"

LOL, somehow I expected more from Collectors Universe members. :wink:

With China taking over the world, I want to know more than the date, Province, and denomination found on their early coins. You might be surprised about how little of this stuff is "in English" or in the reference books.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know Dog

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited December 8, 2017 12:58PM

@Kkathyl said: "I don't know Dog."

When I got the new notification and who posted it, I figured that you were fluent in Chinese! BTW, they have a symbol for "dog."

• Options

I think something as outsiders we take for granted with chinese is we expect it to be cut n simple to translate character for word into english it really doesnt work that way. After living here 5 years ive learned alot but it would also take a life time to get the rest. Their language is wrapped around alot of things and far from simple. Also when translated the order of how its written will change as well. At bottom the 2 hash marks meaning 2 actually moves to the end. 7candeerins.2 cents the bottom characters are used for the unit of measure. The outter characters are the time period yishi year (1905) the top would be the area it was minted.

As far as characters its difficult to pull it apart piece by piece and heres why. Each one has a seperate meaning but when 2 are put together it changes the meaning entirely at times so if you try to understand it piece by piece you could get very frustraited or confused.

The province is jilin which was wrote in english at the time as Kirin. After the communism transformation slight changes were made to province names in english and some provinces even disappeared.

I do believe the center circle is guang xi yuan bao. 4 characters. Guangxi being the emperor time yuan bao meaning money/currency. Dates are very tricky on chinese coins. As time was by periods not days. Most still even dont use our calender.

Top characters kirin province made.

Bottom: it just the value. they only wrote dollars to try to emulate the west. Its not the translation. 7.2

I hope this helps a bit more. If you want character per character i can get it for you tomorrow during the day.

Chris

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Kkathyl said: "I don't know Dog."

When I got the new notification and who posted it, I figured that you were fluent in Chinese! BTW, they have a symbol for "dog."

:p

• Options
    edited December 8, 2017 5:57PM

@coffeyce Thanks for the help, I've been looking thru "Chinese Currency" by Fredrik Schjoth and Kann's book. These plus some descriptions of the characters on some coins in auctions on the net have helped me distinguish:

Made
    Province
    Gold
    Silver
    One dollar
    Tael
    Coin
    Year
    Money

Next, I'll work on the characters for each province (so-far three of them). As soon as I figure out how to upload separate characters and confirm their correctness I'll start sharing what I'm learning.

It is time consuming to teach oneself when an advanced dealer/collector of Chinese coins could give all of us a one hour presentation that would be almost all we need. :(
    I'm going to write to the president of FUN and suggest he find someone to do this (with a handout) at their summer show. I may even become educated enough with fifty more hours of study plus some help from members here. :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @coffeyce Thanks for the help, I've been looking thru "Chinese Currency" by Fredrik Schjoth and Kann's book. These plus some descriptions of the characters on some coins in auctions on the net have helped me distinguish:

Made
    Province
    Gold
    Silver
    One dollar
    Tael
    Coin
    Year
    Money

Next, I'll work on the characters for each province (so-far three of them). As soon as I figure out how to upload separate characters and confirm their correctness I'll start sharing what I'm learning.

It is time consuming to teach oneself when an advanced dealer/collector of Chinese coins could give all of us a one hour presentation that would be almost all we need. :(
    I'm going to write to the president of FUN and suggest he find someone to do this (with a handout) at their summer show. I may even become educated enough with fifty more hours of study plus some help from members here. :)

I have already done up a list for copper coins as i have a complete set of these. I wouldnt have a problem sharing them if you want it.

Chris

• Options

@coffeyce said:

@Insider2 said:

Made
    Province
    Gold
    Silver
    One dollar
    Tael
    Coin
    Year
    Money

I have already done up a list for copper coins as i have a complete set of these. I wouldnt have a problem sharing them if you want it.

Chris

I'm sure we all do!

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 7:13AM

Top 4 characters from right to left.
    Ji 吉,Lin林, Shěng省, Zào造.
    (Jilin Province made)

Bottom 6 characters from right to left :
    Ku庫, ping平, Qī七 ,Qián錢, Liǎng二, Fēn分.
    (KuPing is Qing dynasty's unit of measurement : 1 Qián= 10 Fēn or 3.7301 grams . So the weight of this silver coin ,7 Qián and 2 Fēn, is 26.85672 grams )

Two characters right and left:
    Yǐ乙 ,sì 巳
    (Year 1905, according to emperor's name and years of Yǐ sì near the time frame. 1785,1845,1905 and 1965.)

Center top, bottom then right to left:
    Guāng光, xù绪 , Yuán元, bǎo寶
    (Guangxu's Ingot)

*Qing dynasty's 11th emperor.
    Guangxu (14 August 1871 – 14 November 1908)