Home Sports Talk
Options

Assemble the best sub .300 lifetime BA baseball team that you can.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 6, 2017 5:51PM in Sports Talk

Modern era. They can still be active as long as they have played for ten years plus. Each player must have a career average under .300. DH selection is optional.

You get to choose one starting pitcher and one reliever just to round out the squad.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 6:23PM

Rickey Henderson- LF
    Ryne Sandberg- 2B
    Ken Griffey, Jr.- RF
    Mickey Mantle- CF
    Willie Stargell- 1B
    Mike Schmidt- 3B
    Cal Ripken- SS
    Johnny Bench- C

Tom Seaver- Starting Pitcher
    Mariano Rivera- Reliever
    Eddie Murray- DH

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your picks Darin, but I'll put Killebrew at 1B and Thome at DH. Frank Robinson should be on the team as well, but that's a good outfield you have there!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rickey Henderson- LF
    Joe Morgan - 2B
    Frank Robinson - RF
    Mickey Mantle- CF
    Eddie Murray - 1B
    Mike Schmidt- 3B
    Cal Ripken- SS
    Johnny Bench- C

Walter Johnson - Starting Pitcher
    Mariano Rivera- Reliever
    Reggie Jackson - DH

I bolded where my choices were different. Stargell's more an outfielder than a first baseman, so I moved Murray to first and added Reggie at DH. Not sure that makes much difference in quality. Robinson and Griffey are close, but I think Robinson was better. Same for Johnson and Seaver. Only big change is at 2B - Morgan is the best second baseman in history, but in the sub-.300 group, without Collins and Hornsby close by, he's in a class by himself.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallas- I thought you were wrong when you said Stargell was more an outfielder than first baseman,
    but sure enough, you were right, he did play more games in leftfield than first.
    I thought he moved to first at a lot younger age than he actually did.
    I'll still stick with my lineup, but will admit being a huge fan of Stargell does sway my judgement.LOL.
    And he sure wouldn't be out of place in a star packed lineup like that.

Joe Banzai- Killebrew would fit in just fine with that lineup also, but I would still stick with
    Eddie Murray at DH because I wanted another switch hitter in there along with Mantle.