Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post 1979 baseball cards that don't exist in a 10 yet, and will they ever?

I'm sure these types of topics come up from time to time and for me, it's always fun to think about. I'm mainly an 80's baseball collector so to undertake and build certain sets, sometimes I have to think about the realization that an all PSA 10 set isn't possible. Or is it?

One thing the 80's still has going for it is the abundance of unopened still available. Especially as we get from 1984 and onward. Cards from this decade that immediately jump out to me as not existing in a 10 yet are the 1980 Topps Rick Reuschel, 1981 Topps Fernando RC, and the 1988 Donruss Devon White (LOL).

I'm sure we can all agree that if a Fernando PSA 10 ever pops, it could garner 4 figures + at auction. But what about the others? Is there other cards that anyone else has been waiting to POP in a certain grade forever? I'm sure I'm leaving many other cards out and we don't have to limit this discussion to just the 80's either.

Or is there certain cards from the modern era that will never exist in a 10?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's no way the eventual 10 Fernando would sell for less than 4 figs, and I think sells in the lower 5 figs range, simply because of the mystique of hitting a 10 on that one as opposed to someone just really liking collecting Fernando.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

As a suggestion. Include what plagues the card. I am not personally familiar with Fernando's rc and never submitted one. Why should I NOT go buy a case of 1981 topps then to accomplish this? ha

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

87 Kahn's Larkin, nothing above an 8.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    As a suggestion. Include what plagues the card. I am not personally familiar with Fernando's rc and never submitted one. Why should I NOT go buy a case of 1981 topps then to accomplish this? ha

Sure, from what I know and from what I ripped, it’s always off center, out of focus and plagued with print defects. Fish eyes and marks. I’ve never personally ripped one that looks as nice as DJR’s, but I’m sure it’s possible as there are many boxes still out there. I’d say the best possible grade of any Fernando’s I’ve gotten would be a 7-8 at best.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2017 11:57AM

Interesting @Gemyanks10 . Never knew it was a bad apple. I am sure there are some 10s out there somewhere, tons of product left to open at least to try even if a losing proposition.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

This topic does come up from time to time. If you're not familiar, Google "Dmitri Young Collection". The guy had the finest examples possible of all the modern Hall of Fame rookies, as well as other iconic cards and players. Just an unfathomable collection of 10s and top pop 9s.

He made it his personal mission, and devoted an enormous amount of time and resources to find the first 1981 Valenzuela 10. I'm convinced, when comparing the rest of his collection to a measly 81 Topps 10, that since he was unable to do it (unable to persuade PSA to give him the grade), it won't ever be done.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2017 1:19PM

I will definitely have to google that. Thanks man.
    Wonder how many times he reviewed 9s in this venture.. I think that could present an interesting pathway other than fresh submissions--centered 9s. Make PSA choose between a handful of almost 10s and also include a PSA 9 from 4sharpcorners or a heavy submitter and PSA is in for a real challenge. lol Or they could pay you the difference on the downgrade of a 9 to 8, their choice. xD

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Topic - Has the 93 SP Jeter Rookie ever been graded a 10?

The Dimitri Young collection has been discussed on here many times if you do a search.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    Cool Topic - Has the 93 SP Jeter Rookie ever been graded a 10?

21 times

• Options

Admittedly, when I made this post I totally forgot about the Dimitri Young 1981 Fernando pursuit. That certainly adds to the mystique of that particular card.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    I will definitely have to google that. Thanks man.
    Wonder how many times he reviewed 9s in this venture.. I think that could present an interesting pathway other than fresh submissions--centered 9s. Make PSA choose between a handful of almost 10s and also include a PSA 9 from 4sharpcorners or a heavy submitter and PSA is in for a real challenge. lol Or they could pay you the difference on the downgrade of a 9 to 8, their choice. xD

Do you really think there is any direct correlation with a person's weight and the grades they get?!?! :o:D

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

Agreed, there are probably tons of oddball food-issue items that won't ever grade that high, unless someone finds on that never left the factory, due to the packaging and handling relative to their distribution.

• Options

An obscure issue but this card will be impossible to grade out a PSA 10.

1979 Topps Team Sheet Send in Checklist Seahawks, Largent was right on the crease. Unless somebody has a unsent flat sheet that wasn't shipped by Topps, then no chance. I haven't looked for a while but PSA 7 was the high grade, I'm still kicking myself for not buying the PSA 7 Lee (CD's Nuts) was selling way back when lol. Some pics.

You can see the raised edge on the left side.

Full sheet.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@djr said:
    I think Fernando will grade out a 10 one day...maybe this one one day gets a bump?!?!

IMO, this is the kind of card to crack and submit for a min-10. Almost impossible to do worse than a 9 based on the centering that I can tell.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only issue I can see with that Valenzuela that would hold it back from a 10 is the snow (PD) on the Fernando side of the card. It is a beautiful card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Agreed, there are probably tons of oddball food-issue items that won't ever grade that high, unless someone finds on that never left the factory, due to the packaging and handling relative to their distribution.

The Kahn's sets were a stadium giveaway set, but in a tightly wrapped cello with thin cardstock and colored borders. Surprisingly the Rose from that set is a fairly easy 10, with nearly half submitted achieving PSA 10.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

The Kahn's sets were a stadium giveaway set, but in a tightly wrapped cello with thin cardstock and colored borders. Surprisingly the Rose from that set is a fairly easy 10, with nearly half submitted achieving PSA 10.

Kyle, is there still numerous unopened sets out that you are breaking in an attempt to make the card in a 10?

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 9:22AM

@Gemyanks10 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Kyle, is there still numerous unopened sets out that you are breaking in an attempt to make the card in a 10?

Sealed sets have pretty much dried up. I was picking them up for ~$20 a few times a year several years back. The past year or so I think I've seen 3 available, one of those already opened, and they're more like $60-75 when a sealed one pops up.

ETA: My personal best chance at a 9 was a BGS 8.5 that was a beauty, and of course ended up as my only cracking screw up so far. Screwdriver slid right through while prying it open, right across the card and left a nice long scratch.

• Options

That stinks! Sorry to hear that man!

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

I will give this card a +1. I have two PSA 8's and have opened several sets with very little luck. The Rose is fairly easy as I have subbed a 9 and a 10. I have subbed four Larkins with two 8's and two 6's.

Hello Kyle!

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 1:44PM

My favorite player from the 79T set - Pedro. When I saw "post 79" - I thought of the 79T set and Pedro.

Pulled this from a vending box around 1992. Did not get an Oz or Ryan - very disappointing.

edit: some day - especially if I don't need the cash and have too much time on my hands - I will (with the "permission" of cpamike and grote) start opening stuff from '76 on - including rack cases - and see what I get in terms of condition?

To date - have never had the urge to open anything tho.

Mike
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Bought so many of these after delivering papers and buying three rolls of Spree.

Did Topps cheap out with the black and white pictures of the players. Just Why???

@Stone193 said:

My favorite player from the 79T set - Pedro. When I saw "post 79" - I thought of the 79T set and Pedro.

Pulled this from a vending box around 1992. Did not get an Oz or Ryan - very disappointing.

• Options

@Beck6 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

I will give this card a +1. I have two PSA 8's and have opened several sets with very little luck. The Rose is fairly easy as I have subbed a 9 and a 10. I have subbed four Larkins with two 8's and two 6's.

Hello Kyle!

I have yet to hit an 8, three 7s and two 6s, all expected.

Hi Tim!

• Options
    edited December 11, 2017 8:21AM

Just noticed this one that apparently is a tough pull: 1987 Topps 716 Rick Leach, PSA 9 pop 4 and zero 10's.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    I think Fernando will grade out a 10 one day...maybe this one one day gets a bump?!?!

The snow in the photos but also the PD in "E STARS" and up into "Pitcher" and Fernando's name. The overall print job will prevent it from ever getting a 10.

Arthur

• Options

The card is notorious for being horrendously OC on the back, too. Sometimes 95/5 or worse, even when the front is centered.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@djr said:

Amazing card there

• Options

I'm not implying that these are cards worth grading, just giving you a handful to look at and compare centering on front compared to the back of the same card. I'm not sure the PD and soft, mushy corners will show up in the photos, but they're there, too. Just a super tough card...

• Options
    edited December 11, 2017 10:31AM

Douglas, thanks for this. Top to bottom centering on front seems to be an issue as well, like the bottom right hand card for example. Overall, very nice cards and would love them for a raw set. I’ve just never seen a truly flawless Fernando anywhere.

I often wondered too, although a completely different point is how many “falsely scarce” junk era cards there are due to lack of submissions. I don’t have the time at the moment to check pop reports, but take the 1988 Donruss Devon White, I believe it was well over 100 submissions with only an 8 being the highest grade? The amount of unopened still out there is incredible. I’d like to think that a card like this would get made in a 10 eventually lol...

Edited to say that looking quickly, that top middle Fernando has beautiful centering, if it hard sharp corners I’d sub it.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a pop 0 but pretty ridiculous nonetheless. The 1988 Topps Glossy Rookies of McGwire is a pop 3 with 6,162 submissions. There's something to be said about what's left of that unopened material as they were only available in supermarkets and most of those 100 ct jumbo pack cases have been opened and the McGwire Glossy cards cherry picked. The fruit of my labor got me one factory sealed case, I believe.

Arthur

• Options

Adding 1980 Topps 250 Wayne Gretzky to the list in this thread.