Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jordan game used jersey(s)???

I couldn't find the old thread. It was one where a member was thinking of buying a Jordan game used jersey. I maintain that he is our Babe Ruth and a "legitimate" (key word) jersey will only increase in value as more and more are stored away or hung in a man cave forever. Whether other big name jerseys are good investments is debatable.

Anyways, my update here is that one auction house who I won't name because don't want to be associated with that auction house. And they're def not mine......That one house has somehow has 5 "legitimate" jordan jerseys for sale. FIVE!!. You can tell by the price or lack of dollars and bidders what the community thinks of these 5. Its almost like having 5 Babe Ruth jerseys for auction. Kind of......Point being, buyer beware. Someone is still willing to pay 4k and 3k. .....If I thought the paperwork was correct and was being offered for 4k. I wouldn't buy it based on the price alone. Its not over yet. And make your own decision. Im not bidding on any of them. Any of the 5! If you are bidding. Good luck.

One went for 70k and one for over 100k where all the paperwork, photo matching etc seemed correct. Those are def out of my price range.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options

That was me. Thanks for the post. Yes, there are quite a few very cheap MJ gamers that pop up that seem to be authenticated by the same two or three people. No idea why supposedly legit auction houses take them in for auction.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Thats right. Once I saw ur name it came to me. Ha.
    As to why, nonreputable and even some reputable who aren't aware or perhaps may be but the ol' "don't ask, don't tell me" kicks in......but i digress....For even a $4,000 game used Jordan jersey (laughable just writing that) they get $800 from the bidder and $800 from the consignor...in general. So even if those five don't get another bid, thats $8,000 for that particular AH. And if I even see those 2 or 3 names authenticating a jersey, I just move on.
    If u have any particular ?'s you can always message me.

• Options

Thanks, I appreciate it. Still on the hunt!

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

there was one in Goldins auction with some LOA...beckett, miedema, that was "passed"....no bidders or not won in the end....anyone know what happened? i did not bid on it myself and wasn't planning on it

• Options
    edited December 18, 2017 2:02PM

update...sold for $5,000...that says it all

• Options

a 97 Bulls finals MVP jersey sold for $5800....iffy right there but this particular auction house still included their ubiquitous..."was presented to us as game-used and in our opinion, shows appropriate use."...which supposedly absolves them of any liability if the said jersey turns out NOT to be game-used.

at least it looks like a price has been established for non-game-used, game-used jerseys...allegedly.

• Options

Any serious collector should be willing to pay the premium for the photomatch service. If you aren't willing to, then you are setting yourself up to be scammed.

Joe

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Any serious collector should be willing to pay the premium for the photomatch service. If you aren't willing to, then you are setting yourself up to be scammed.

THIS.

there are no "deals" in this niche market. Similar to graded 1952 mantles or psa 10 1986 fleer rookies.

• Options

spinfade...i see theres one with the paperwork provenance selling at $97,000 last i checked a few days ago....any update on ur hunt for a legit game used jordan?